DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   Drywall Screw Bits? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/drywall-screw-bits-188180/)

ddawg16 10-07-2013 11:19 AM

Drywall Screw Bits?
 
What do you guys use?

I have already gone through a pack of 5 #2 Dewalt bits and I'm only about half way through all the screwing around I need to do.

No, I don't use one of those fancy heads...I prefer to just do it by site....I've gotten pretty good at it....but it doesn't take long before the bit starts slipping on the head of the screw because of wear.

So what do you guys use? How long do they last?

ToolSeeker 10-07-2013 04:11 PM

I have been using the Dewalt buy in 25 packs. The Dewalts seem to last a little longer. What ruins them is when they spin out, once 1 spins it's not long for the world.

ddawg16 10-07-2013 04:15 PM

Ok....so it's not me? Good to know about the spin out....makes sense....

On average, how much life do you get out of them?

I sure wish the made the screws in square head....

SeniorSitizen 10-07-2013 04:33 PM

I've seen very few bits that didn't need the point ground off just a little to allow the bit webs to fully seat. Test them for wobble in a screw head before chucking or "chucking" as in the trash can.

joecaption 10-07-2013 05:30 PM

Look for the ones that say Impact ready on the package. The one's I use have what looks like a serrated face on the bits.
I can easily go a whole day none stop with one bit.

Nailbags 10-08-2013 01:28 AM

I just use these and one or two last the whole job. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023023...1#.UlOXzjK9KSM

ddawg16 10-08-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1250705)
Look for the ones that say Impact ready on the package. The one's I use have what looks like a serrated face on the bits.
I can easily go a whole day none stop with one bit.

I picked up a pack tonight....we will see how they last....

lanny 10-08-2013 02:20 AM

I just go buy the true drywall tip and I have had the same tip for over a year two renos you should never wear it out because there is no such this as to much pressure with it b3cause when you push to hard the stopper with stop you from drilling anyway and I just set the torque on my drill to 7 and it never ever slips

ToolSeeker 10-08-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanny (Post 1250936)
I just go buy the true drywall tip and I have had the same tip for over a year two renos you should never wear it out because there is no such this as to much pressure with it b3cause when you push to hard the stopper with stop you from drilling anyway and I just set the torque on my drill to 7 and it never ever slips

HUH:w00t
Please put link have done drywall for a lot of years and have never heard of it, have never seen anyone use it.

oh'mike 10-08-2013 08:30 AM

I use a drywall gun---and get close to 100 sheets out of a bit---or 10?

I buy a 25 pack twice a year----and change the bits without thinking----it's the spin out that kills them--and a drywall gun just doesn't do that often---

(DeWalt)

jeffnc 10-08-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview (Post 1250688)
I've seen very few bits that didn't need the point ground off just a little to allow the bit webs to fully seat. Test them for wobble in a screw head before chucking or "chucking" as in the trash can.

I've never heard that, but I'll keep it in mind. Right off the top of my head though, it sounds like it might be the wrong size bit for the screw. Most people just pick Phillips without thinking size, while there are actually 8 different sizes - maybe 3 of those are common. Not only that, there is a Pozidriv and Frearson head (and some others as well) which look like Phillips but are not. Each of those takes a unique bit.

Most people don't know that Phillips heads are designed to cam out to avoid damage to the material or the driver. Nowadays drivers have good clutches on them (assuming they get set correctly) so the cam out irritates most people. It's mostly better to have the driver take care of overdriving with a clutch, and of course when driving by hand you can feel yourself when the bit is slipping or how much pressure is being applied.

The cam out is the reason that drywall bits work so well - when the flange makes contact with the wall surface, the bit cams out at exactly the right position, and all is well. So you probably ought to be using a drywall bit after all.

If you don't like that, then of course you can use 1 1/4" square drive or star drive screws if you like.

hand drive 10-08-2013 01:44 PM

over the years I've used the shiny acr phillips 11 platinum bits with the little ridges on the tip.the ridges grab the screw and the bits last the longest compared to other bits IME but as Joe mention the new impact ready bit/tips are tougher.

ToolSeeker 10-08-2013 05:48 PM

Someday maybe someone will be smart enough to put star, torx, or square drive on drywall screws. Almost anything would be better than Phillips except straight slot.

Nailbags 10-09-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1251167)
Someday maybe someone will be smart enough to put star, torx, or square drive on drywall screws. Almost anything would be better than Phillips except straight slot.

Amen to that!

ddawg16 10-09-2013 12:07 PM

But imagine what that would do to the sales of phillip's bits? Just think of all the Chinese that would be put out of work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved