Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

drywall repair next to an outlet - advice needed...

I need to repair some drywall next to an outlet (see pics) and am trying to find the best solution. Possible ways I am thinking about doing it are:

- One of those mesh patches with the aluminum. Not sure about those though because of the unsupported side next to the outlet. Or any other kind of pre-made patch possibly?

- Cut the edges of the hole to square it off. Take a piece of either wood with drywall on top, or just drywall and screw it to the stud. fyi... for some reason there are 2 layers of drywall here; also only one of the outlets I'm repairing has the stud available (that one is also the bigger hole).

What is the best solution for these outlets?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
drywall repair next to an outlet - advice needed...-outlet1.jpg   drywall repair next to an outlet - advice needed...-outlet2.jpg  

myke232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #2

Mesh patches are not needed for this application. These are better when going over a complete hole. For the second outlet, you should be able to get away with a little spackle on the left side of the outlet and then use an oversized cover plate. That should fully cover the hole on the other side. For the top outlet, I would just screw a piece of sheetrock into that stud, and then use tape and compound on it. Are these new outlets? what are the boxes secured to?......

Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
Mesh patches are not needed for this application. These are better when going over a complete hole. For the second outlet, you should be able to get away with a little spackle on the left side of the outlet and then use an oversized cover plate. That should fully cover the hole on the other side. For the top outlet, I would just screw a piece of sheetrock into that stud, and then use tape and compound on it. Are these new outlets? what are the boxes secured to?......
thanks for the info!

for the first one:
- will joint compound work instead of spackle?
- can i use tape with the compound/spackle to avoid using an oversize plate?

as far as the outlets, both boxes are new and are secured to the dywall with those winged, tabbed thingys that pull against the wall when you tighten... no stud involved. from what i understand this is how they work...
myke232 is offline   Reply With Quote