Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall repair or cover it up?

Moving into a new home, unfortunately, the previous own decide to cover up one wall with a checker pattern of 12x12 corks and and mirror pieces. Besides looking horrible, this will be our kid's room and having glass on the wall just don't seem safe. I took off all of the pieces today, but now I have this horrible mess of criss cross left over glue and chipped drywall. The glue that was used was so strong that quite a few of the pieces came off with the drywall still attached. Any ideas on how to finish this wall? I really don't want to tear down the drywall and hang new ones. I'm debating something 3/16 like this: 4'x8' How tough will it be to install on drywall with imperfections, and any tips on gluing and nailing?

Thanks,

flyingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Without pictures it's hard to say.
If it was mine I would replace the drywall.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
(the original)

I agree with joe, replace the drywall. It'll be faster, cheaper, and easier. If you use that cheap panel you'll have to first scrape or sand all the glue residue off the existing walls so it'll lay flat. Then you have to trim all the way around it. And in a kid's room....I don't think so...that stuff has about the impact resistance of a truck stop pie crust. If you insist on paneling, use Georgia Pacific Plybead.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #4

thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at the ply-bead instead. Can this be installed directly over the old drywall? I'm just not too keen on hanging, sanding and all the work I went through last time installing drywall.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #5

Couldn't find any panelling that the wife likes, so looks like I will be replacing the drywall. If I'm just replacing one 9'7 wide 8' feet tall wall, how should I position the new panels? I'm not too sure about the corners as the two vertical walls on each side are finished, not seeing how I can tape and mud a fresh wall joining a textured wall. Should I try to replace one stud away from the wall and not touch the current corners? Going to figures out the stud layout to get a better idea how to approach this.