Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall repair

We had to remove some drywall from the ceiling when we were doing some repairs. I was attempting to put new drywall up today and realized the old drywall is sagging where it was cut which makes it stick out further than the new drywall. I attempted to place a 2x4 as a horizontal brace for the old drywall to screw into but the drywall started cracking when I was screwing it in. Did I have the right idea or is there a better way to do this?

The ceiling is vaulted and the only drywall that was removed was at the bottom where it meets the wall. Ceiling joists are 24" OC.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall repair-ceiling1.jpg   Drywall repair-ceiling2.jpg  
REXAMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
DIY staff

Drywall repair

You have the right idea--you need more screws ---so the sag is pulled up more evenly--a bit at a time--
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #3

Drywall repair

You can try an common drywall patching technique that might help...this might be what you were doing but it's not quite clear from your description as to how you were configuring it so here goes.

Cut strips of plywood 6" by 22" and slot them in between the joists behind the old drywall so that they are parallel, with 3" up behind the old drywall. Screw along the edge of the old dry wall into the plywood, one screw every 3" or so. Then when you install the new drywall pieces, screw them into the overlapping plywood edge. This will bring the two edge of the old and new drywall together. You'll still have a fair amount of spackling to do. And obviously you can use any scrapwood that you have on hand. Plywood is good for this as it flexes a bit and easy to work with and set screws into.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
old guy contractor

Drywall repair

Try using plaster buttons with your drywall screws
It gives you much more "purchase" than just a screw.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Drywall repair

it's for situations such as this, I like to keep a piece of 25 gauge metal track around.

you can screw 4" pieces of track to joists, put a 2x4 inside screwed to track, held flush with joists, flat on top of drywall. you can hold screws back a bit from edges of drywall, nothing flexes or bends.

all gets covered with normal taping and coating. bringing both pieces together.

as always just my thoughts.
good luck
coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (12-12-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #6

Drywall repair

Thanks for all the advice...I ended up using 6inch pieces of plywood which worked perfectly. Worked a lot better than the 2x4 since I had more room to work with.
REXAMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #7

Drywall repair

Easiest way to repair dry wall that firstly you have to buy a dry wall repair kit. Measure the hole or rough place where it creating then you should use drywall patch to fix it
rohitash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #8

Drywall repair

Drywall repair is so tough task. Patching drywall looks simple but truly a seamless repair need so care and experience. For this task you must have a carpet.to ensure a tight fitting patch use the patch itself as a template. for a safe drywall repair you must mix and apply drywall compounds.
rohitash2 is offline   Reply With Quote