Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

Drywall repair

How do I cut out a section of dry wall for replacement?

mjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
General Contractor

Drywall repair

How big of an area?
Reciprocating saw, being careful not to plunge the blade deep....held more parallel to the wall rather than straight on, particularly important while cutting in the bay(horizontal area between studs so you don't cut a wire or plumbing) Vertical, you can find the stud centers and cut down the middle to avoid adding blocking.

Jab saw, if you plan on adding blocking because they're more for cutting a hole in the field rather than on the edge of a stud.

Or a razor knife, just takes longer and multiple passes on the same cut line to cut deep enough to get through the drywall.

My favorite for patching is an oscillating tool like the fein, much cheaper versions can be purchased.

dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Drywall repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsconstructs View Post
How big of an area?
Reciprocating saw, being careful not to plunge the blade deep....held more parallel to the wall rather than straight on, particularly important while cutting in the bay(horizontal area between studs so you don't cut a wire or plumbing) Vertical, you can find the stud centers and cut down the middle to avoid adding blocking.

Jab saw, if you plan on adding blocking because they're more for cutting a hole in the field rather than on the edge of a stud.

Or a razor knife, just takes longer and multiple passes on the same cut line to cut deep enough to get through the drywall.

My favorite for patching is an oscillating tool like the fein, much cheaper versions can be purchased.
I second that. I have a Sears model.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
General Contractor

Drywall repair

Harbor Freights has a coupon out right now for $19.99 for the corded version, regularly $59.99
If I didn't already own 2 feins.........
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Drywall repair

The Fein I bought years ago was one of my most used tools and even though expensive it more than paid for itself. Others on this site have had reasonable things to say about the cheaper brands (search the tools forum) like Rockwell, Craftsman, Harbor Frieght and so forth. I should think for $20 a consumer model would be worth a try.

Before getting too carried away around areas where their might be electrical or plumbing runs, you might want to cut or drill a hole just large enough to get a mirror in to see where you are headed?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote