Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |
Talking

~Drywall questions and concerns~

Hi guys! So my husband and I are new to the site and to home repairs. We just bought our first house and we are trying to fix all the stuff that needs to be done. It was a foreclosed home so there is a bit that has to be done. We are starting with drywall in our up stairs bathroom and kitchen.

We tore down the drywall we no longer want/can use and need to replace it. It was one wall front and back of the dry wall. We need to start hanging drywall and all so I have been watching videos like crazy. None I feel go into enough detail. The corner beads are really rusted after taking down the dry wall.

Do I need to replace them? One side of drywall is still attached however the other side is empty since we had to remove it.

Do you have to replace the ceiling as well as the walls even if the ceiling is still good? Will it mess up the seams?

For taping and mudding the walls some people have stated to use two types of mud. One that is thin and one that is thick. Is that unnecessary?? What is the benefits?

And lastly what tape and mud is best for the job? The only walls we will be doing through our home is bathroom, kitchen, and basement.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! Videos, pictures, and anything visual is always extra helpful!

birrielfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Why did you remove it in the first place?
Outside corners should not rust up inless there's something wrong.

Without some pictures your going to get a lot of guesses.
For that much area I would concider hiring a pro to hang and finish it. Far faster then having to lean on the job. And will come out far better in most cases. It's no all that expencive to have done.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why did you remove it in the first place?
Outside corners should not rust up inless there's something wrong.
Had to remove them because the previous owners did their own plumbing by their bathroom sink and kitchen sink. It caused a leak that molded the cabinets and walls. It wasn't extreme but it was getting there. So we had to get it out of the house. The pipes have been fixed, but we really want to save as much money as we can by doing it our self if possible.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

After you finish one room I'll bet you will be thinking, what did that guy suggest. LOL

Is there texture on the ceilings?
If not then there's no reason to do them, you can just redo the walls.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

No there isn't any texture on the ceilings. Just paint. Which is why I wasn't sure if the seams would be okay when mudding the walls.

And yeah I'm thinking that already lol
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
JOATMON

Drywall is one of those things you learn how to do the hard way....just do it...

On those corner beads...I don't think I would want to reuse them...more work to clean them up vs just buying new ones....as for the rust....I have seem them rust just from the moisture from the mud....but you mentioned a leak...so that could have added to the issue....

I have had good luck using a heavy knap roller when I put on the primer....keep using the same roller for paint and it will do enough texture to hide most defects.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Drywall forum.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Paper tape is the best to use.But if your not good with it you will get bubbles and blisters under the tape.But you should use the green lid mud to embed the tape it has glue in it so the tape will stick better.On the other coats its nice but not nesseccery to use the lightweight (blue lid) mud.It sands alot better.Another tip;thin your mud out with a little water and mix it up with a paddel and drill.

If i was you i would get the no-coat bead which is plastic.If you dont know how to correctly install metal bead its alot harder to tape.No offense,but if you want a nice looking job you might want to hire a pro and practice on the garage or something you dont have to look at all the time.

scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, drywall, drywall hanging, mudding, tape jointing