DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   Drywall Questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/drywall-questions-25703/)

LDO 08-25-2008 09:15 AM

Drywall Questions
 
Moved into a house that has a detached workshop out back. Shop looks like it's pretty close to being finished. Drywall has been hung but seams are not taped and corners not done. Outlet and switch boxes have all been cut out already. What's the next step? Is there a book you folks recommend that can walk me thru the steps so I can get the shop finished?

Thanks.

comp1911 08-25-2008 10:17 AM

Review this site:

http://www.drywallschool.com/

Use green lid mud to set tape, use blue lid on the finish coats.

AtlanticWBConst. 08-25-2008 03:03 PM

Here's a link with actual how to videos. The links are at the top of the page. It's numbered according to the steps you would proceed with: http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...all/drwl_1.htm

Good Luck!

ShawnPA 08-25-2008 10:29 PM

Maybe it's just me, but in a workshop, I'm not concerned much with taping and finishing the drywall. While I don't allow my workshop to be a mess, I've never been concerned with the aesthetics of a working area.

AtlanticWBConst. 08-26-2008 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnPA (Post 151811)
Maybe it's just me, but in a workshop, I'm not concerned much with taping and finishing the drywall. While I don't allow my workshop to be a mess, I've never been concerned with the aesthetics of a working area.

Drywalling your workshop, would actually be a good location to "learn" and "practice" how to do drywall, if one has never done it before...and would like to try develping the skill on their own.

ShawnPA 08-26-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 151864)
Drywalling your workshop, would actually be a good location to "learn" and "practice" how to do drywall, if one has never done it before...and would like to try develping the skill on their own.

Agreed. I was assuming it was someone who had experience.

LDO 08-26-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnPA (Post 151879)
Agreed. I was assuming it was someone who had experience.

Correct. I've never done it before and while I could probably get away without doing it, I figure the experience in developing a technique would pay off with future projects.:thumbup:

AtlanticWBConst. 08-26-2008 08:05 AM

Good luck on your project.

slinku2020 08-28-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO (Post 151547)
Moved into a house that has a detached workshop out back. Shop looks like it's pretty close to being finished. Drywall has been hung but seams are not taped and corners not done. Outlet and switch boxes have all been cut out already. What's the next step? Is there a book you folks recommend that can walk me thru the steps so I can get the shop finished?

Thanks.

I had decent luck by following the steps provided in this link..
http://www.rd.com/18078/article18078.html

Good Luck.

Termite 08-28-2008 04:47 PM

Just remember that mudding and taping is an art more than a skill. Anyone can do it, but a select few can do it well. A garage is a great place to learn the basics and get a good understanding of the process without having to stare at the results all day long.

I'll do 95% of the work on a major interior remodeling project. The other 5% accounts for the drywall finishing, because I've seen my drywall work...And I'm no artist. :no: I'm fortunate to have a friend that is a talented finisher, so I usually owe him a favor or two.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved