DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   drywall question for the pros (

steve1234 07-25-2008 04:11 PM

drywall question for the pros
We are remodeling our house and I am at the drywall stage. We are bull-nosing outside corners and inside corners are 90’s.

In two places we have a barrel hallway that terminates into a vertical wall (with a doorway). The hallway starts in a room with tall ceilings. At that point where the barrel starts no problem, archway bullnose corner bead and away we go. Where the barrel terminates at the vertical wall, I figured no problem. Off to my local drywall supply and try to get a piece of the trim tex inside 90 archway bead. I was surprised to get the “what are you talking about” look. They don’t stock the part but could order it from Trim Tex in carton quantity. I called trim-tex who gave me WestPac’s # and I ended talking with one of their field reps. Bottom line….very odd part, carton quantity special order from Trim-tex.

I asked the drywall supply place if they could suggest an alternative solution and they didn’t have much. Since it’s a relatively short arc-length, I was going to try to notch out a length of no-coat and try to make a 90 inside archway bead. The texture we are using is pretty heavy so it will cover many finishing defects.

Is this really such a non-standard finishing feature?
Is there a “more easy” way of finishing that detail?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and info.

Big Bob 07-25-2008 05:08 PM

in the olden days the plaster workers would make or have a trowel for this.

steve1234 07-25-2008 05:23 PM

Agreed, but I think I have that part. Held correctly and maybe with a minor modification, a regular corner knife should work. I should have clarified that I'm speaking more of the "tape" or "corner bead". I have not yet experimented, but I would expect regular tape to wrinkle on the vertical wall side.

bjbatlanta 07-26-2008 11:13 AM

I've done it with regular tape on a mild radius. Yes, it does wrinkle (fold over itself) but as long as there's enough mud to stick to itself when it dries, it can be finished. Just takes a heavier first coat and will probably need a skim or two unlike a regular corner. You could use NoCoat or StraitFlex and snip every inch. If your radius isn't quite perfect, it will help round it out. Again, the snipped pieces will overlap, but you can cut them back at an angle to solve the problem. I would use setting compound on the tape and first coat.

steve1234 07-28-2008 12:54 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure, but I think the radius is a bit much for the tape. I looks like it might wrinkle quite a bit. I'm going to try clipping one edge of No-Coat and see what happens..... Thanks

kgphoto 07-28-2008 01:25 PM

I may be misunderstanding this, but couldn't you just get a roll of arch bead from Strait-flex for $20 and call it a day?

steve1234 07-28-2008 02:39 PM

nope, not misunderstanding....I thought it should be that easy too.

Trim-tex makes an inside, archway, corner bead as well. Problem that I found is the distributors don't stock it, but they can order it.....min order 1 carton (approx 40 pieces)....I need two. I asked my local supplier if there was an alternative, as I was not aware of any. I will check out your suggestion and see if I can get some. Thanks

jerryh3 07-28-2008 02:55 PM

Here is an internet site you can get it at:

kgphoto 07-28-2008 10:56 PM

Strait-Flex, not Trim-tex. Sells it by the 100 foot roll. You can use it for arches or regular corners, so you can use it up on other jobs.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1