Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drywall Question - Problems

We built a new 3650 sq ft ranch, 1825 sq ft per level, in 2009. We broke ground in February and completed it in July. We live in Iowa so we have all the usual settling issues along with the extreme temperature swings. I was my own general contractor so I ultimately have to resolve my own problems. I did hire reliable, reputable contractors. In December we noticed that on the main floor some of interior vertical dry wall corners against the exterior were pulling apart. The tape is pulling up and splitting. Nothing else on the ceiling, no other seam cracks and no screws popping out. At the time, these were confined to the just the corners of the house, but now have begun to appear on other corners throughout the first floor, but only on corners directly against the exterior. We have poured basement walls, with the exception of the rear of the house, which is entirely 2 x 6 construction. The basement is completely finished and there is no evidence of this problem down there. There appears to be no significant settling issues. Iím in the process of dealing with the drywall contractor, but am curious if anyone has encountered this before. Iím dreading the repair, but want to make sure we only have to do it once and itís done right. The contractor claims heís never had this happen before. Has anyone had this happen or heard of this problem? Iíd like to know whatís in store for us.

sjctalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Did you fasten (nail or screw) up tight to the corners, vertically? That will often cause cracking. The last foot or so of each board is best left to float. The tape and mud will make your corner, and if not fastened down tight, will flex with seasonal movement without cracking.

Last edited by Willie T; 01-26-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #3

Unfortunately, Iím not able to answer that completely. I know no nails were used, only screws throughout the entire house. What I donít know at this point is what the installers did in the corners. I donít know if they screwed up tight to the corners yet. Iím not ready to do any exploratory deconstruction quite yet. Given your reply and my research, I suspect that the drywall was screwed up tight to the corners. Thanks!
sjctalb is offline   Reply With Quote