Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall Question

Hi Everyone ~
I need some help and some patience. I'm in the middle of a home remodel. I just tiled my entire downstairs which was my first time hiring a contractor and that turned into a nightmare (long story).

I then hired a contractor that specializes in drywall to re-mud and retexture a few walls in my home where the wallpaper had been removed. In particular after removing wallpaper from one wall in the living room the drywall was exposed. The home was built around 1980 so I don't know what was under the wallpaper.

The contractor stated that he could repair the wall by re-mudding and then retexturing! Great I said. I just finished painting the wall and the joint lines or "seems" can been seen on the wall. It also looks like he textured heavier in these areas. There is a thick band 2-3 inches running horizontally the length of the wall and then 2 other joint lines that can be seen.

I'm trying to describe this the best I can considering I know nothing about drywall. Why am I seeing these joint lines? I assume since this is the contractors expertise he should have feathered the lines out enough so they could not been seen after the wall was painted. SO here we go again! I just want this stuff done right the first time and get this remodel behind me!

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
Barbara

Last edited by Sycamore Inn; 01-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Sycamore Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
DIY staff

Drywall Question

His "expertise" sounds questionable--Taping should have been completed before any texture was applied.

Sorry --you hired a drywall guy with limited skills-----Mike---

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Drywall Question

If the patches were not sealed before the finish coats, that could also account for the seams being visible.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Drywall Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
If the patches were not sealed before the finish coats, that could also account for the seams being visible.
True. were the walls primed or sealed before you painted them?

Another possibility is the high places were already there but not as noticible with the paper covering them. Did the house originally have wallpaper on the walls?

Regardless, if the contractor knew the walls were to be painted, he should have finished the walls for painting. He should also have advised you to seal the new mud to even the porosity of the wall out.

Did all the paper come off? Usually when I removed paper, I ended up skimming the walls.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

Drywall Question

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to re-size and attach a photo. Lets see if it worked. This is the wall painted the blue tape is where the joint/tape lines are showing.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Question-dscn1876.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Drywall Question

This is the wall AFTER I removed the wallpaper. The wallpaper was thick like a fabric and it came off in one piece. YES I removed part of the drywall (I was having a blond moment) this is my first house and I didn't know the paper was part of the drywall.

The contractor said he would mud over it, then seal it, then texture it something like that. I did not watch the process as he was removing the acoustic ceiling as well and the downstairs was all taped off. He also textured heavier where the blue tape is seen in the first photo. No I did not prime the wall prior to painting and I'm not sure that would solve the tape joint lines??

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Question-dscn1017.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
handpaintedbysteve.com

Drywall Question

Hey Barb,
Was this contractor licensed by the state? If yes did he show it to you. I know, I know, a license doesn't make you a contractor, but it does offer a degree of legitimacy. During times like this everyone is a contractor or so they will tell you. Have you ever watched that program on HGTV called Holms on Homes? He's made a million bucks off of guys that call themselves contractors. He shows their ignorance and inability to do the job correctly. After the poor homeowner got what they thought was a good deal on a remodel job, he comes in and does it the way it should be, and I hate to see what his job would cost.
I know this response won't solve your issue but maybe it will help in the future.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #8

Drywall Question

Barb,
It's hard to see in your pic because of the tape. But you really should have primed the walls with a premium primer. When I redid my son's room last year when he moved out on his own, if you would have seen the walls before I started, you would have cried. After two days of patching, retaping some areas, sanding, etc. it was looking good. I still used Sherwin Williams premium wall primer. It's not cheap, but the walls looked like new after the primer and two coats of promar 200 low sheen eggshell. The primer hides the difference in the patched and non-patched areas. If you shine a quartz work light down the walls, especially at night, you will see any flaws in the taping. Might just need a final touchup of joint compound and prime and repaint to finish it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

Drywall Question

Thanks guys for the reply. Yes the contractor is licensed and bonded and I checked with CSLB and he is current. Without the blue tape the camera will not pick up the deviations in the wall but believe me they are there. My wall in the kitchen is in the same state and yes Mike I WILL prime it this time before I paint.

I am going to contact the contractor and have him take a look at the wall. I PAID him to mud it and prime it correctly. The name of his company is "......." DRYWALL. So he should know what he is doing. I will tell you what I have learned about contractors though - they are always in a hurry and want to rush getting the job done! My tile wasn't installed right because the contractor's "employee" was in a hurry or smoked something while he was installing the tile that I still don't get! This guy was also in a "hurry". They are ALWAYS in a hurry

Thanks
Barb
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

Drywall Question

Okay guys now can you see it??? I had the painting contractor I just hired come over and tell me what he thought - nice guy. He said it is the seams and putting a primer on it WOULD NOT fix the problem.

I then called the contractor that repaired the wall - the "drywall expert" - to please take a look at it. He was a jerk and said it would be at least a month as he was working on another job even though he lives about 20 minutes from me. I told him that I did not prime the wall but "priming" it was NOT going to fix the seam problem! He insisted that I put Kilz primer on it and that would fix it. I agreed to at least give it a shot on half the wall. Then called him back and said the seams are still showing, I would appreciate his cooperation, and I would like the wall fixed within a few weeks. If not then I will file a complaint. I want to get this painting done asap.

Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Question-dscn1901.jpg  

Last edited by Sycamore Inn; 01-26-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #11

Drywall Question

The wall in the kitchen that was also repaired and textured by this contractor. I have not painted it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Question-dscn1895.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #12

Drywall Question

Barb,
If you were to put a straight edge across the seam(s), are the seams recessed a bit still? It looks like another coat of mud with a wide knife would do it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #13

Drywall Question

Mike ~
On the living room wall I would say the seams bow outward not inward as that is what I am thinking recessed means in this conversation. Shaun the painting contractor placed a flat wood stir stick - stick you stir paint with from Home Depot - over the seam to show me that it's not even - it protrudes outward slightly.

How do you mud a wall Mike? Then what do you do afterward?

Thanks
Barb
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #14

Drywall Question

I can see in the lower picture that the seams aren't even close to wide enough. It might have been more clear if you said you could feel the seams. Saying you could see them implied to me they were flush and right and the only issue was their visibility.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Phoenix

Drywall Question

those seems aint right !! you shouldn't be able to see them. Stay on top of the guy, call him every few days until you get him out there to look at it.

I had a business for 15 years. If i ever had anyone that wasn't happy with the work i went back out there with in a few days (at the most) to see exactly what they weren't happy about. If we made a mistake i owned up to it & fixed asap, my reputation depended on it. Once you get this guy to see it with his own eyes he will be forced to make it right imo. Just keep bugging him with phone calls. "hey just want to know if you'll be near my area tomorrow to take a look?" or " was wondering if you'd have time to take a look at this Saturday?" etc .. etc...

Other route is get another dw contractor out there, but then it would be more $ outta your pocket.

Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote