Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall question

Hello All,

Half of my kitchen ceiling is stuccoed. Unfortunately, a crack has appeared running the length of the joint between the drywall sheets. On top of that, it was "patched" with plaster to cover a hole where a stovepipe(?) used to be. As you can see by pic2 it stands out quite noticeably compared to the rest of the surrounding stucco. The question I have is - is it possible to re-stucco the tape joint and replace and re-stucco the patch to blend it with the rest of the ceiling? The edge of the ceiling panel that meets the wall is not 90 degrees (see pic1). It has a pronounced (rounded) curvature to it so simply covering the existing stuccoed drywall with new paneling won't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall question-picture-001.jpg   Drywall question-picture-002.jpg  

Bodrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #2

Drywall question

Are you sure that is stucco and not just joint compound with some sort of texturing? Stucco isn't taped and not put over drywall.
You should be able to retape the joint and make the patch blend in. It will just take a little trial and error with the texturing pattern.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #3

Drywall question

you can sand down the high spots and skim coat the whole thing then it will all match and be even
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

Drywall question

Usually people put some sort of texture on ceilings to hide problems. You mentioned a crack you were concerned with, but I did not see it in your pics.

How old is your home? When was it built ? Is it simply drywall or plaster over gypsum lathe?

This crack you mentioned needs further investigation.

Philip LaMachio
Estate Plaster Inc.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 10-24-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: removed website link
estateplaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #5

Drywall question

A closer picture would help. A straight crack is drywall, at the seams, maybe forgot the tape. Plaster and lath, NOT lathe - that is a machine for wood or metal turning, which a lot of people mix up, professionals should never.....

Yes, you can fill the small stovepipe patch with drywall mud and carefully match the pattern, as Ron said. At the end panels, pull the old tape off after cutting starting and ending places, then re-tape with compound. http://www.plaster-wall-ceiling-solu...questions.html After flat, texture the patched area with wadded-up cellophane wrap over newspaper (also wadded-up).
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

Drywall question

'Plaster and lath, NOT lathe - that is a machine for wood or metal turning, which a lot of people mix up, professionals should never.....'

I will take the correction. I am a professional plaster restorationist, not a professional grammatician.
estateplaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #7

Drywall question

And here I am answering a post that is over 4 months old, welcome to the forum! My bi-focals slide ever now and again so I spend more time re-typing than typing! lol
Be safe, Gary