DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drywall Question

995 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ToolSeeker 
#1 ·
I had a ton of nail pops that I repaired. I used DAP Spackle and sand all three coats. They were smooth to the hand. The I sprayed the texture (one coat) and then primed (one coat). When I go home yesterday, the wife said, you can see all the nail pop locations. They are now raised to the touch. One guy said I should have textured two coats. On one very small wall in the hall, I thinned out the joint compound and skim coated the wall. It had nail pops but you can not see them on that wall. Just where I used the DAP Spackle but not where I used the joint compound. The texture appears to be different over Spackle.
These walls were previously textured orange peel and painted. Now I textured over the existing and same orange peel.
Question:
In order to fix this raised appearance, should I skim coat the entire wall again and re-texture and re-prime?
or
Just re-texture over the existing texture again laying it on heavy?

What a pain it is to skim coat two 20x8 walls. Any ideas on how not to do the whole thing again?

Thanks

#3 ·
Drywall

Put a screw above and below 1" and then removed the nail. patched with Dap Pink Spackle sanded and the filled again and sanded until smooth. I believe what is happening is in between the screws other nails came to the surface but did not break through causing a lump or hump.

#4 ·
Probably what happened was when the nail was put in they used a drywall hammer which has a convex (hope that's the right word) head this makes a dimple when the nail is set and is then filled with mud and now it is smooth. Now when you pulled the loose nail out that made the hole flat, kinda like a small butt joint, so when you spackled you now have a small hump, again think small butt joint. What I would try is find one out of sight and hit it with a drywall hammer then patch as you normally would and see if that fixes it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.