Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Project - Any tips, advice?

Hello -

I'm a brand new, first-time homeowner and I'm about to take on a fairly ambitious project - pulling coax and ethernet cable through the house. More specifically, through an attic of a single-story home.

However, to do the job the way I really want to, it is going to entail bringing the cabling down a single outside wall of the house in the family room, which is about 10-12 feet tall. With a stud finder I have found at least two horizontal braces that I will have to drill through, which I understand is normal for "load-bearing" walls. The other (internal) walls have no cross members/insulation, so I figure that will (relatively) be a snap. But this outside wall is what I am worried about.

I see my only option as cutting two holes out of the drywall - at each cross brace - to be able to drill a hole through the 2x4 for the cabling. And I have never done this before!

Any advice before I do this? The wall is unfortunately textured, so that is my biggest fear (making it look right upon repair). But most "drywall repair" info I have found revolves around complete replacement (due to damage), so I think I have a huge advantage in that I am cutting out a perfect "replacement piece" when I do this.

Thanks for any advice or hints! And my fiancee comes back into town on Sunday evening (I saved this for her weekend away!)

Brett

dabretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Post a question in the electrical forum asking about this type of project. There are extra long flex drill bits that might do the job without having to cut the drywall, but the guys in electrical will know best.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #3

I have used the following to install network cable in offices and houses.

http://www.mygreenlee.com/Products/m...c_number=38128

You can cut a single gang hole and use a low voltage remodel box . I just drill through the top or bottom plate. If you are drilling through cross supports just watch your distance for your bit.. This drill bit you can attach a string to and use it as a fish bit too..
cbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am an electrician. Things to consider, on an outside wall these bits are difficult to use successfully. The insulation is pulled into the drill bit and is somewhat destroyed where you drill. At the attic space, you will find it very difficult to attach a wire to the bit since you have no space. You need to guide this bit into the center of the blocking and then the center of the top two plates or you will drill into the outside or inside walls. (not likely you will get these holes 100% lined up without experience.) Time to do all this may be longer than the drywall patches. I would use FEin's multimaster to cut a slice out of the blocking and top plate. Use a sawsall to make a notch in blocking and plate. place a steel notch plate over the wire to protect it from penetration b screws and nails. Glue the small piece of drywall back in. Caulk the seam. Done!
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #5

Good project and good advice from above posters however a couple things to consider

First, as a computer and network professional I see no reason not to use wireless in this situation, barringthat there are a number of devices which carry ethernet signals via electical wiring, not quite my favorite way but at least consider them.

Also in an exterior wall most cable installers would run the cable outside the building if possible and only drill a horizontal hole through the wall were needed to put in a low voltage box. This is especially good if you can "hide" the cable, both coax and ethernet paint without problems. If you do it this way make you use outdoor rated cable. snce it will be outside part of the time. You can splice the coax into indoor cable if you want but the ethernet should be a complete run from point to point wthout breaks.

so for example you could run through the attic drill a hole to the outside, run the cable through and down to the point of entrance, then in make sure to staple the cable to the ouotside wall (I would go no more than 8 inches without a staple) and make sure to caulk the holes when you are all finished with a good quality silicone.

also just a quick note as you run though the attic, it is ok for ethernet to cross electrical wires but try to not run parrallel along electrical any closer than 6 inchies from wires.
shannahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall existing cut