Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Share |

drywall problem, need immediate answer please

my 80 yr old dad wants to save money and put over another layer of dry wall instead of tearing down the old wall. Its an issue of a cold room that also gets too hot. someone wants to charge 4000 dollars to tear down walls ntall insulation and new floor and ceiling waht should we do? my email is rossrivera600@hotmail.com my dad is flipping the bill and he is impatient and naive. He is not a good decision maker

rossrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #2

How much and what type of insulation is in the wall now? In the floor? In the ceiling?
Is there siding on the walls?
Where do you live (State/Country)?

What type of heating system?

Explain the Contractor's ideas......

Be safe, Gary

Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

An extra 1/2" of drywall will not solve your insulation woes.
Drywall stops air gaps though does little to stop thermal penetration.

Do you have insulation anywhere in the room now?
gjjr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #4

mmm...i know we're taught drywall is not insulation but it does serve as an air block. if you've ever been in a house with the roof on but no drywall yet in the middle of summer there is just an enormous difference when they are done with drywall. going from 1/2 to 1" however will do next to nothing. once the first layer is there it is what it is.

as for your situation, is there a reason it needs to come out? mold? water penetration? some reason that requires a tear out?

if it's just a lack of insulation, well, depending on the framing it's hard to say how much will even go in there. you can get up to r15 in a 2x4 wall which is much better than nothing but 4000 will pay for a lot of extra electricity if you add a heater and ac to the room.

is this room setting outside the main house or somehow exposed heavily outside? also, how much glass is in it?

Last edited by racebum; 08-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote