Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall Problem

We just purchased a home built in 1975. The entry way bathroom had a really bad "chemical" smell. It seems like even opening the window may have caused the smell to get worse. We finally decided to strip the bathroom of all the drywall. When they removed the drywall there was a seem of a glue in many seams that I swear is the cause of the odor.
The smell in the bathroom was so bad, we had it checked by air quality professionals, plumbers, and contractors, and no one could pinpoint it to sewage, mold, or anything like that. It had to be in the walls or something. It almost had an odor like dead snakes. It would come and go, sometimes being so strong it was unbearable.
The bathroom is in process now of being put back together. I will repost after the fact, hopefully with news that the odor is gone. I am almost sure this glue is the culprit. The contractors working on the bathroom say that this glue is something they usually do not see, the drywall sheets are commonly adhered to with a tape.

Last edited by jennn999; 08-12-2010 at 02:51 PM.
jennn999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Drywall Problem

Curious:
" It almost had an odor like dead snakes."
I've never smelled one, what do they smell like?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Wink

Drywall Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Curious:
" It almost had an odor like dead snakes."
I've never smelled one, what do they smell like?

A dead snake is an awful smell. It has a chemical type smell and could very well be one of the worst odors there is. The smell in the bathroom has been described as like the sell of a perm, dead snakes, and just chemical gasses permeating the bathroom.
jennn999 is offline   Reply With Quote