Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall and pipes

I am prepping for my drywall of my basement. I was looking around the room and noticed that two of my drain pipes from upstairs are outside the framing. I noticed if I leaned on them they can be pushed back enough. My question is there any tips to pull them back to the cement wall? Any tips or ideas would be great.

mort5029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall and pipes

ABS, Cast Iron or other? How far away is the cement wall? How do you feel about cleaning up poop?

typically not a good idea to force them somewhere they don't want to go as it can screw up your slope in other parts of the system or break fitting connections.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall and pipes

Its ABS and there is room to just pull it back a couple inches so the drywall dosent hit it.
mort5029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall and pipes

Is the pipe level vertically when it just hangs there without you applying pressure? The reason I ask is because if you're taking it out of level by moving it back to be behind the studs, then undue pressure is being applied to the ABS joints, which in the case of drain pipes, will possibly eventually cause them to leak.

My suggestion is fur the studs out on the wall(s) where they stick out to avoid stressing the joints. They should have been run correctly in the first place (my guess is they weren't), but I guess you have to work with what you've got.

If your heart is set moving the pipes back then use some all around steel strapping to hold the pipes back.

Good luck!
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote