Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall Patch Repair Question

Had to move a electrical box. I had set it back a bit far so I took some Henry's Yellow fiberglass mesh as I didn't have drywall tape and laid it on and trowled with One Pass spackle. Looks okay, but wonder if anyone has used that fiberglass for this kind of application. Slightly thicker than drywall tape. Would hate to have to rip it out and do again!

Hoshwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

Hate all mesh tape so I may not be the one to ask I would guess if you have to open the and close the door a lot it will probably crack. If you really used spackle and not joint compound it will crack.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I hate mesh tape too but have stretched across outlet openings a time or two and then used a couple passes of hot mud to finish the patch. It is usually just faster to cut a winged drywall section. There is a name for this I can never remember (California patch maybe?) but you measure the opening carefully and then cut the patch 1.5 or inches larger than the opening all the way around the perimeter. Then slice the drywall off the paper that dimension. Fit the patch in the hole and use the paper wings as if they were drywall tape.

Those metal mesh and fiber patches at the paint store work out better than mesh tape too but you have to feather them in so they do not stand out.

I agree spackle most likely will crack.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

Those metal mesh and fiber patches at the paint store work out better than mesh tape too but you have to feather them in so they do not stand out.

I agree spackle most likely will crack.[/QUOTE]

For quick small jobs I really like those patches. They come in 4x4 6x6 and 8x8 and are pretty easy to use.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
It is usually just faster to cut a winged drywall section. There is a name for this I can never remember (California patch maybe?)
I've done that patch but never knew it was called California. I Googled "drywall patch paper wings" and one of the sites showed a California patch aka Butterfly patch.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I've done that patch but never knew it was called California. I Googled "drywall patch paper wings" and one of the sites showed a California patch aka Butterfly patch.
If it makes any diff I always heard them called hot patches.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #7

Squar up the hole and do the California patch. It is the best way to do a patch.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Why would that be better than opening a package taking out a pre made self sticking patch that you put over the hole and mud, comes already taped, just add mud. No squaring the hole, no measuring, no being careful not to cut all the way thru the paper. Honest I did hot or cali. patches for years these new patches are so much easier and better.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #9

I don't have a problem using these since they're the easiest
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/4x4-...tch-kit/903208
but I pay attention to how big the hole is and where it is, because if someone ever tries to put a nail, screw, or anchor in that spot in the future, they will be displeased
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

This is true and probably the same for the hot patch since it has no backing. So I only use them for small patches also. For larger ones I use a piece of 1x for backing and use screws.