Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,450

Drywall patch in one day

Sorry, this is a question, not an answer

Is there a way to do a serious patch (with paper tape) and still finish it in one 8 hour day (including painting) with sanding on the final coat? I'm hoping someone knows some new technology or technique. I can use setting compound to get on 3 coats in a day, but it will never dry enough to sand that last coat. Of course I could be perfect and not sand, and I suppose wet sponge sanding might work, but how about painting over that wet patch? I can't imagine the paint would adhere well to wet compound.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

Drywall patch in one day

If you get an answer,I'm all ears---

I've done a lot of patches in a day also--but the mud is to wet to paint---

Gymschu (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,236

Drywall patch in one day

That would be the HOLY GRAIL answer of Drywall repair, JeffNC.......I would like to know as well. There's just those times when it has to be done in a day.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Drywall patch in one day

no
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,518

Drywall patch in one day

Ok here goes. Get a piece of plywood about 2'x2' I use a sink cutout the formica on it makes a really nice surface. Now take a good sized scoop of mud and plop in on the ply. take your small drywall knife and go around the inside, kind of making a donut looking shape or a volcano, go clear down to the surface of the ply. Now put about 1/2" to 3/4" of water in this valley. Now take Plaster of Paris and put enough to cover the water (you will need to do it a couple times to get the feel for how much to use). Remember just cover the water not the mud round the edge. Let this set a minute so the Plaster of paris absorbs all the water, it will turn gray. Now cut this in 4 sections, like a pie, pull one section away from the rest with your knife and mix the plaster and compound really well. You now have about 10 minutes to apply. This compound will dry very hard, buy the time you go scrap the excess from your tools this will be dry. You can go back to your donut pull section 2 of your pie mix it and repeat. Have used this for several years. I always used a thin coat of ultra lite weight mud for a top coat just for the ease of sanding. There is a video on you tube showing this I will try to put a link up this evening.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall patch in one day

I've done mud on wood for fast drying, and I know I should be ashamed of myself. But I was young, and dumb. It does dry fast, but it is a faulty repair.

The trouble with what looks fine when you walk away is that wood dries over the years, and that nice, smooth coat of dried mud will eventually develop cracks, and maybe parts will even fall off the wall.

Last edited by Willie T; 08-21-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

Drywall patch in one day

I've done a patch not requiring paper tape (e.g. filling in wall anchors and other smaller patches) and have been able to get on 3 coats and drying them with a hair dryer (high speed, low heat, and just leave it there hanging from a ladder hook or something, aimed at the wall.) That can work well. I just can't see that drying out a full patch with paper tape and joints in less than 8 hours. I also don't like leaving the room with the dryer on. But now that I think about it, I do have a little room heater that I might try - it has an auto shutoff if it tips over. Similar to this one
http://www.lowes.com/pd_42722-47166-73610_0__
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Drywall patch in one day

OK guys I could not get the link on my laptop. But if you go on you tube to;
Laurier Desomeaux repair a hole with no sanding.
there are like 6 short videos if you can watch them all but at least watch #4 and # 5. I use this same method and it really works. If this doesn't work let me know and I will get on my other computer and download.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Drywall patch in one day

Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #10

Drywall patch in one day

Thank you Jeff how did you do that.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #11

Drywall patch in one day

Well, technically he says "when you sand, you sand to blend, not to repair" (emphasis mine). So "no sanding" is a bit of an exaggeration there.

I do like the videos though, and his technique with the large trowel. I'm not sure what you gain here with using his blend over standard setting compound (I haven't had time to watch them all the way through, maybe I missed something.)

Having said that, I can see how you could get away with sanding only the outer edges of that patch. In that case, you could certainly dry those areas with a fan or hairdryer. You wouldn't need to dry or sand the whole thing.

The painting issue still remains - the center of the patch will be wet.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #12

Drywall patch in one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Thank you Jeff how did you do that.
Used your search terms, then just copied the URL of the first video. On the right I found the links to the next companion videos in order, and clicked on them and copied the URLs one by one
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #13

Drywall patch in one day

The advantage of the mix I have found to be it dries thoroughly all the way through unlike hot mud that just dries on top. And I like you can go back and get more without cleaning everything and mixing more. I have put on three coats 2 of the mix and a thin topcoat of lightweight, sanded, primed and painted in a day.
Also seems like this stuff is easier to work and sand than hot mud.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #14

Drywall patch in one day

Then I guess I'll have to give that a try....
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall patch in one day

I hope I am not missing something or reading wrong...

I have done winged patches with hot mud in a day easily. 5 minute mud sets up near instantly but can be a challenge for a novice to work with. Start with the 20. It comes in 5-120 minute as I remember. Do get the easy sand.

Of course it takes a little time to cut out and fit the drywall patches. You need to bring them out flush to the wall so you do not have to build up layers over them.

If the entire patch is a layer or two of mud, or using pre-mix tub mud, no way. I think you are asking for trouble for all the moisture to evaporate out, sand, prime and paint in a day. Even with 5 minute.

Last edited by user1007; 08-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote