Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall overlay, patch all plaster holes/cracks?

Hi all. Hoping for some help here from the experienced. I know all the debates and arguments, but after much evaluation (talked to plaster buddy), we have decided to drywall over our living room plaster walls (built 1925). Mind is made up on that!

Two walls are interior, two are exterior. Will remove all trim, recut, replace, extend jambs and outlets. Here is my question:

Plaster and lather. I'm concerned studs won't be 16" OC due to age. If I put a couple of holes low in each wall to confirm this and locate, should I quickly patch up the holes before overlaying the drywall? Even further, should all cracks/holes be fastened with plaster washers, patched etc. before covering?

If not, I'm not sure if the holes/ cracks behind the drywall could cause issues behind the drywall later.... Again, plaster and lathe if it matters.

Thanks!

NikeFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Drywall overlay, patch all plaster holes/cracks?

I'd be remove all the old plaster instead.
I know for a fact there's going to be areas with no or poor insulation, old wiring, more then likly no fire blocking inside the walls.