Drywall Over Plastered Cinderblock - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall over plastered cinderblock

I am building a closet in the basement of my 1938 Denver home. The outside walls are plaster over cinderblock and although I do not have a big moisture problem, the plaster is crumbeling away in several spots and a paint with drylock job only lasted about 7 years last time. I have been in several open houses in my neighborhood and it seems that this is common even when the basement looks newly remodeled.

I just want a nice, clean, and even surface so was thiniking just adding drywall to the walls. For the interior walls that is easy enough (studded plaster, just going to throw some 3/8th or 1/4 drywall up and fix the door trim). For the exterior walls, should I:

1) Just add the dry wall right to the wall
2) add a spacer with thin studs so the dry wall does not touch the old plaster,
3) Add some sort of moisture barrieir; OR
4) something else.

Thanks, advice is appreciated. I did a search and did not find a good answer for this except one mention of just throwing it up with mud and roofing nails right to the plaster. That person daid it was done all the time in Missouri. Sure sounds easy if that will be safe with the little bit of moisture that may be present.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

nateco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Hello. I have read your post. I can only offer some info to help you decide, and it is this:

First, a few tidbits about concrete...

It would be ideal to think of concrete (block, poured, whatever) as a big wet sponge. Concrete will often wick moisture into anything touching it (wood, drywall, etc.). That being said, I don't think it is wise to slap drywall right on there. Even if you stud a wall in front of it, and drywall that, the studs will rot eventually if they are touching concrete. Then it would possibly be moldy in the cavities behind the drywall.

Ideally, you could build a studded portion about an inch away from the concrete wall. You should use a pressure treated bottom plate, and it wouldn't hurt to throw a sill gasket under the bottom plate.

As for a vapor barrier:

Some people use rigid styrofoam insulation (sealed up tight at the seams and edges) mounted to the concrete for a vapor barrier (in basements). Then studded wall in front of the rigid foam, insulation, and finally drywall.

Another way is studded wall with insulation, and vapor barrier over studded wall, then drywall.

It is important to check with your town/city/state for regualtions and codes for your situation.

From the short explanation you gave, I believe the plaster wall crumbled over the years because it was mounted to concrete.

If you were to just slap drywall on the concrete, it is possible - and likely - it would mold somethin' fierce behind the drywall.

This is just my opinion. I hope you can take something from it that helps you.

Peace.

Advertisement

Beanfacekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

From "bad" to "best"; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

Gary
coupe (02-02-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Excellent, that gives me what I need. Thank You! I think I will go with the well taped XPS insulation, new studs, and then the 1/2" dry wall. Maybe some unfaced R13 behind the wall as well, may as well.

Thanks again!
nateco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nateco For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (02-01-2012)