Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall over plaster, finishing touches

I recently bought a 1945 cape cod. The previous owners covered the master bedroom in ugly wood style paneling. After taking it all down I found the plaster walls underneath were not in great shape. Not to mention the thousand nail holes from the paneling. After weighing all my options to either gut the whole room and start from scratch or apply a layer of thin coat. I decided to go with 3/8 in. drywall over the plaster. I was able to extend outlets and switches no problem. I am not sure how to handle the 3/8 extension around the windows. I was able to fix the window shelf by notching out an extra 3/8 in. What do I do about the other 3 sides so I don't have rough drywall edges exposed?

Any suggestions appreciated.

DIY Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Pictures would help. If you have wide trim around them, you could always cut a think strip of wood to fit between the window sides and the interior trim and stain it to match. I had to do this when I replaced my front door and the new one was 3/4" thinner than the old unit.

How did you extend the outlets? I may have to do this in the future, although I am leaning towards gutting it since I need to run some electric and it would give me a chance to insulate the walls.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

I will take some pictures tonight. That might be what I have to do. The drywall is already taped, primed and painted. I can probably trim off an inch of drywall around the window and tack 3/8" thick strips of wood to match the drywall width. Unless there is a better idea.

To extend the outlets I got some ReceptXtenders from Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

I found out about that on one of these forums. Worked like a charm.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

Yes, pictures would make a big difference.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #5

I took some pictures so you can see where the exposed rough drywall edge is. The trim is up temporarily with no caulk or paint until I can finish the project.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall over plaster, finishing touches-sspx0199.jpg   Drywall over plaster, finishing touches-sspx0200.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

I agree with jimmyfloyd. Cut the rock back so that the trim will still cover anything under it, put in the wood stock, match up with caulk and paint. You have so manys lines in the picture frame that I would bet nobody would notice.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redmanblackdog For This Useful Post:
DIY Greenhorn (01-18-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmanblackdog View Post
I agree with jimmyfloyd. Cut the rock back so that the trim will still cover anything under it, put in the wood stock, match up with caulk and paint. You have so manys lines in the picture frame that I would bet nobody would notice.
Why not cut a relief in the one side of the casing?

Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote