Drywall Over Paneling - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywall over paneling

What thickness of drywall can be put over paneling. we plastered over the drywall groves and that is fine but some of the seams between the sheets of paneling crack even with taping. The paneling is in good condition. Do we have to take the paneling down?

Advertisement

tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

drywall over paneling

you need to make sure you drywall is anchored into the framing, if the paneling is that usual flimsy stuff I am assuming. Also you should make sure your drywall joints are definitely staggered from the paneling joints.

If there are cracks then there is too much movement, indicating your boards aren't secured properly, that is my guess anyways.

Advertisement

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

drywall over paneling

Hard to say as we don't know the thickness/type of paneling. It could effect the drying ability of the wall unit, especially if foam board is installed on the exterior forcing any diffusion or leakage to dry to the inside. I would remove it, if mine. You need to install drywall the ADA way; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Good time to up-grade the cavity insulation: The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Gary