Drywall Over Old Plaster - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall over old plaster

I have this small room on the second floor that had textured fiberboard panels covering up one of the original plaster walls. Took the panels down and the plaster was mostly compromised, so I scraped it down to the scratch coat which also has some areas that are weak.

What I want to do now is drywall over the scratch coat. My question is, should I bother patching the areas that crumbled away down to the lath, or do any other surface prep? I want to ensure the wall is flat and sturdy but don't want to put extra work in if I don't have to. Planning on using 1/4" drywall.

Thanks

Drywall over old plaster-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1424008982.106288.jpgDrywall over old plaster-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1424009014.455271.jpg

Advertisement

bvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,314

Drywall over old plaster

You are good to go as long as any loose plaster is removed beforehand. Nothing more frustrating than pieces of plaster falling behind your sheetrock causing a bulge. You will also have to remove your trim and reinstall it after putting up the sheetrock. I've done it many times with great success!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,650

Drywall over old plaster

If that was mine I'd be removing all the trim getting rid of all the plaster.
And up dating any old wiring and possible adding more outlets if needed.
Using 5/8 drywall would help to close up the gap at the wall to ceiling joint.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,084

Drywall over old plaster

I agree with Joe your already down to the lathe a lot of places. Remove the remaining and put up new drywall. And as long as you have to remove either way I would just use the 1/2" drywall.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,016

Drywall over old plaster

I would fix the existing plaster, IMO- if wiring ok. Some hot mud and paper tape with a top coat, good to go. Some tips; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuj_1...eature=related http://www.plaster-wall-ceiling-solu...questions.html

Gary
Old 02-17-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,662

Drywall over old plaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
I would fix the existing plaster, IMO- if wiring ok. Some hot mud and paper tape with a top coat, good to go. Some tips; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuj_1...eature=related http://www.plaster-wall-ceiling-solu...questions.html

Gary
I agree
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 45

Drywall over old plaster

Yeah if I were at that stage I would demo it all down to bare studs and drywall after that. Not much more work at this point just lore work to dispose of the old material.
jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,016

Drywall over old plaster

Or pull the door trim, window trim- with 10 coats of oil-based paint (some lead-based= health hazard) on it so now you have to strip the trim or it will show where the old paint chipped at the miters, then move the radiator as no nailing access behind it, pull the crown and get new because the the old plaster thickness is more than the new (minus the 1/4" lath, 5/8" plaster) so it is now too short. And the door jamb should be cut narrower for the thickness difference of the new wall- or shim at new drywall, which looks hacked, IMHO. 1-2 hours, tops- to fix that one wall by patching/matching.

Gary

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
chrisn (02-18-2015)