Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Drywall over Drywall

I'm remodeling my kitchen which was previously has terrible wallpaper that has been glued and is very difficult to remove & I really don't want to gut the whole kitchen to save time a potentially create more work for myself considering going over existing drywall with 1/4 for a new finished look

Alcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall over Drywall

Glue and screw. Stagger you joints. Use 2.25" screws

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #3

Drywall over Drywall

That sounds like a plan, thanks a million
Alcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Drywall over Drywall

Definatly glue it, PL 400 or something like that but use 3/8 drywall as 1/4 is just for bending
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall over Drywall

1/4" drywall is fine for laminating over existing drywall. It is used for radius walls, but NOT exclusively for that purpose. You definitely want to glue between the layers. The big box stores sell drywall adhesive suitable for the purpose, but only in the quart tubes, so you'd have to invest in a larger "caulk" gun. As stated above, one of the "PL" family or even Liquid Nails in the regular tube will work. Gypsum industry specifications for fasteners in wood framing indicate that "nails must be of sufficient length to penetrate through the wallboard and into the wood framing no less than 7/8 inches and screws must be of sufficient length to penetrate at least 5/8 inches into the wood framing, having passed through the wallboard". That said, 1-5/8" drywall screws are more than adequate. If you prefer to nail (as I do on wood framing), 1-7/8" phosphate coated drywall nails are available at a drywall supply yard, but they likely don't sell in the small boxes (I buy 35# box at a time). And 1/4" drywall is available in 12' lengths at most drywall supply yards if you want to lay the board down rather than stand up to minimize joints.....

Last edited by bjbatlanta; 02-02-2011 at 03:27 PM.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote