Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Drywall not even on stud

Ok, I was attempting to put up a 8x4 piece of drywall myself( my wife helping holding) horizontally on the wall were it meets and inside corner. I pushed it flush against the corner and ceiling but it to make the cut so it lands halfway on the stud the cut would have not been straight. It was like a 1/2" on the bottom then needed to be cut about 1 1/4 near the top? Is this normal. I guess obviously were it was butted against the inside corner studs or ceiling is not straight.

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Drywall not even on stud

Check it with a 4' level.
That first sheet has to be level and plumb, if not the rest of the pieces will be off.
If it's to late to fix the framing then just cut the rock to fit tight and move on.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall not even on stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Ok, I was attempting to put up a 8x4 piece of drywall myself( my wife helping holding) horizontally on the wall were it meets and inside corner. I pushed it flush against the corner and ceiling but it to make the cut so it lands halfway on the stud the cut would have not been straight. It was like a 1/2" on the bottom then needed to be cut about 1 1/4 near the top? Is this normal. I guess obviously were it was butted against the inside corner studs or ceiling is not straight.
I'd check the plumb of my stud out at 8'. My thought is that it is flush with your ceiling and your corner stud then either they are both out of level / plumb equally or your stud out at 8' is out of plumb.

Try to fix your framing before you hang drywall. If not you're gonna be fighting this issue the whole way thru.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brockmiera For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,248

Drywall not even on stud

If it's the corner check to se if maybe you missed pulling out a nail or something that is holding it out. The corner being out is not really a big deal because with the tape and mud that can be addressed. But it needs to be straight on the stud.
Had a guy work for me one time, he had always worked for a builder. Every time we would go to do something he would say we have to tear this out, it's not plumb or square or straight. I told him welcome to my world after years of settling and movement nothing is square. It's our job to give it the appearance of plump, level, and square.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Sean'o ATHS (03-15-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall not even on stud

Make your cuts on the sides against the corner and ceiling and make the other edge plumb and it should not cause you too much of a problem. 1/4 variances are common even on new construction.
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote