Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall in my Bathroom

My contracter started to tile right on to the drywall. I know that the water is not going to hit the tile directly since I have installed a tube but It just doesn't look right to me. Can I get some advise on this please.

marystrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #2

Drywall in my Bathroom

From everything I've read and heard that is OK in areas of the bathroom where water is not going to be hitting the walls like around the sink and toilet. It may even be OK in the wall nexe to, say a dedicated soaker tub or whirlpool. IN a shower area or tub/shower comb where water is going to be running down that wall it is not ok. The wall needs cement board behine the tiles or some other type of approved backer. Others with more knowlege will weigh in.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Drywall in my Bathroom

Cement backer is recommended for any "wet" areas. Tile is often applied directly to the drywall on kitchen backsplashes, but not much else. I suppose it's ok if there's no direct water contacting the tile. If it were mine, I'd want backer in any bath area....
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
DIY staff

Drywall in my Bathroom

Any wet area like a tub or shower need backer board.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote