DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

drywall mixed with plaster - do I need to tape?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
The repairs I have to do on my old plaster walls include skim coating the awful texture added in the '70s and repairing a few areas where the plaster has come loose from the lathe. In the latter case I am planning on scraping off the plaster, squaring it off the patch, then fitting 1/4" drywall in the space and screwing it to the lathe (or studs). Assuming I can fit it in pretty tightly and not leave much of a gap between the intact plaster wall and the drywall, will I need to tape between the drywall and the plaster? Thanks for all replies.

#3 ·
As stated:

1. Remove loose plaster.
2. Install same thickness sheetrock (in this case 1/4"). Attach it to the wood lathing using standard drywall screws (1-1/4" x course thread).
3. Apply paper tape, or mesh tape using durabond.
4. Apply coats to smooth. Use bucket ready-mix for the final coat, as it sands easier, and finishes smoother.

- If you have gaps/spaces between the 1/4" sheetrock edges and the plaster edges, fill these in and smooth out. Allow to dry, before applying the seam tape.

- There is no need to use any kind of durabond or compound between the layer of sheetrock and the lathing you attach it to.

- Alternately, if you have some areas of walls that are really bad, you can install (overlay) new 3/8" sheetrock over the entire wall surface, and attach with 1-5/8" to 2" drywall screws to the lathing and framing. This method creates a permanent repair.

#4 ·
Thanks for the good advice. I have read about Durabond (brown bag), but now it looks like it is time to get better acquainted with it. From what I have read it sounds like it might be suitable to repair cracks in the plaster too. Thanks again. I just have to figure out now where I can buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.