Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall and Mirrors - Sticky Situation =)

I finally finish repairing my wall and now it have to put a mirror on top of this. Any suggestion on what glue to use.

About using some existing mirrors we have in a bathroom that we are planning to remodel so we won't have to buy new mirrors which will cost 200 dollars. The only thing is that I've read is that old mirrors might have issues with adhesives? I'm not sure how old the mirrors is but i'm pretty sure it's over 10 to 15 years old.

me88me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

I pulled mirrors from my bathrooms that were 20 years old and we hung with adhesive.

Are you planning on using clips to hold the mirror up?
Go to a glass store that sells glass and mirrors and get a tube of the adhesive they use for mirror installations. It's designed to not affect the silver coating on the back of the mirror.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Thanks djlandkpl, I was planning on using mirror clips only on the top side of the mirror since the bottom is against the wood. Don't glass and mirrors store usually charge a lot more for their adhesive versus getting them from like home depot or Lowes? I see some of the adhesive going for 8 dollars for a tube but from the glass/mirror stores, they sell it for 19.99!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by me88me View Post
Thanks djlandkpl, I was planning on using mirror clips only on the top side of the mirror since the bottom is against the wood. Don't glass and mirrors store usually charge a lot more for their adhesive versus getting them from like home depot or Lowes? I see some of the adhesive going for 8 dollars for a tube but from the glass/mirror stores, they sell it for 19.99!
You get what you pay for. I used the Liquid Nails mirror adhesive recently for a clipless installation. I used temporary clips until it set. A week later the adhesive was still uncured and the mirror slid off the wall. I wound up getting it from a glass store and it was $5.00 a tube.

You might get lucky and the glass store might give you some leftover partially used tubes. Mine offered.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

Wow, that's really bad. Now i'm a bit worried! I'll definitely think about it and ask some glass folks. There are quite a few options out there, mirror mastic, Loctite PL Premium 28 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive, and liquid nails. Do you happen to know the brand and name of the adhesive you used? your experience with it and also how long did it take to cure
Old 08-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #6

The first time I used Liquid Nails. I don't remember the name of the stuff I got from the glass shop. I do know it cured in 2 days.

Since you have clips and wood on the bottom providing support it won't be a big deal for you. Just be sure to used an adhesive/mastic designed for mirrors. Regular construction adhesive will eat away the silver coating on the back of the mirror. You'll see it on the front side.

Last edited by djlandkpl; 08-23-2013 at 04:58 PM.
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,510

Just my opinion but to put up mirrors use mirror mastic since that's what it's made for.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

Thanks, I'm thinking about purchasing it from Home Depot since they have the tubes there. I'm just worried because of the old mirrors. I'll be trying to take off an old mirror this week and cut it myself. If that doesn't work, i'm going to have to work with a glass company.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,470

Glass / mirror shops have upper and lower clips. Do it right and quit screwing around with band aid sticky stuff that's proven to be ineffective.

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote