Drywall Job Looks Blotchy - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall job looks blotchy

I just took my first stab at installing some drywall, but it looks blotchy when the light hits it at the right angle. What do I need to do to fix this? Is it not sanded enough? Need to use a finer grit paper? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Mikey92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Use your widest blade and add more mud----you are not finished yet.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Either add more or take some off and reskim it. Looks like a pretty tick chunk near the corner. I think I might would plan on feathering some around the corner to avoid leaving a line where the wall changes direction.

What are those two thick places? Did you damge the board putting it up? If so, don't be afraid to go well beyound your patch when feathering. Flex the knife on the outside edge to lay down very thin coat of mud on the outside edge of repair to blend with the wall. Lightly sand, prime and paint.

Fixing a place that near the edge and a corner with lights on it can be a little tricky for me, but I don't mud everyday.

You want to go from maybe 1/16" thickness at the patch or tape to nothing on the outside edge when feathering with a wider knife.

P.S. When you think you have it feathered good enough, use your wide knife at 90 degrees to the wall to check for gaps from the high side (thickest mud) to the edge of the repair.

Not knowing why the mud is that thick in those couple of places and assuming you choose to add more, I would go with at least a 10' knife for the correction. Being that close to the edge and the corner, I'm not sure I would not take some off and redo with thinner coat of mud.

You are not trying for a flat wall. You are trying for the illusion of a flat wall. There will be a gentle rise in the overall plane of the wall.

I hate to ramble, but it may be necessary to blend those two places into one another since they are so close if you decide to add more mud.

The lights and the locations of these areas are working against you if you are a novice at this. Keep at it, be patient, and you can do it.

Hope you find something helpful in my rambling. Good luck.

Last edited by boman47k; 02-12-2011 at 08:59 AM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
Axecutioner-B (02-12-2011), fortunecookies (02-16-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

did you paint with colour right after sanding?

Must use a primer/sealer before putting colour on the wall or the mud will flash forever..

As well, mix the mud with some water to thin it out and put a final skim coat over the entire are flaring out appropriately. (Wide blade as suggested above).
Sand with a 150 fine before priming.
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Rather than sanding, use a taping knife to scrape down the surface, holding the knife with two hands. This will level it out, leaving some depressions. Next, fill the depressions with light coats of slightly thinned out mud, scraping the excess off with a wide taping knife. Only sand after all coats are on and only then. Professionals will sometimes sand between coats, but they have the proper equipment and training. For the average DIYer (like myself), sanding between coats only creates waves.
drywallinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwiens View Post
did you paint with colour right after sanding?

Must use a primer/sealer before putting colour on the wall or the mud will flash forever..

As well, mix the mud with some water to thin it out and put a final skim coat over the entire are flaring out appropriately. (Wide blade as suggested above).
Sand with a 150 fine before priming.

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote