Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall issues... lots of them...

This is my first post to this site. I am hoping I can receive advice on how to fix the drywall in my house. The house is 11 years old and there are many nails starting to pop out of the drywall. Also, over every walkway, there is one inch of tape edge (??) starting to appear. In a few of the corners the drywall has separated and I can even push it in a little. I even see where the drywall meets the other drywall (I long line is clearly visible). I want to sell my house this Summer, but I need to fix this mess. Is it easy to do? I can post pics... can someone explain how??
Thanks for any help or advice you can offer

simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

If the drywall is loose then you have to re-nail it, baby the nail in because if it is a framing problem then it will just breakout again if you hit it to hard. It would be best to use a drywall hammer because it has a convex head to dimple the surface so you can easily fill over the top of the nail with a tight pass of mud. If you have hair line cracks in the corners then you can get away with useing a latex caulk to hide it. The nail pops can be fixed easily (but may come back), Take your drywall knife and lay it flat over top of the popped nail, so that the surface of the knife is covering the surface of the popped nail. Tap lightly with a hammer to push the nail back in flat. Start lightly and take a look and adjust your taps accordingly. Make sure that your knife is new or very clean because you don't want the wall surface to pick up any of the dirt or grime off of a dirty knife!

Pictures would be nice, but I not into that yet either. It is hard to comment on the tapped edge showing without seeing it. It kind of sounds like a bad drywall job, or a bad framing job. If you are seeing tape in the corners, are you talking about where the wall meets the ceiling, or the walls meeting the walls?

redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

This is all to common in newer construction. If you want it fixed then you should re-do all the affected areas using Screws. Nailing makes sense if you're a production crew cranking out houses all day, but they will work their way loose.

Even when they nail it in place then screw it down, nails can show up. a lot of the time you'll notice a row of nails along the edge of each sheet where they tacked it in place.

I would remove all the popping nails and mesh tape all the cracks, good luck.
SuperHans is offline   Reply With Quote