Drywall Into Basement - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Drywall into basement

Hello,
I am planning to finishing my basement. It is already 30% frammed. While planning, one of my key concerns is to bring 1/2" drywall preferablly 4x8s into basement. Stair case has a 180 degree turn and is about 7' wide.
I tried taking a 4x8 plywood board into the basement the other day as a trial and was uncessful to do so. I wont stand vertically on the landing so makes it impossible to turn. So I think i would need to look for alternatives to take the draywall down.

Basement has two full over grade windows each 5' wide and 3' tall and slide open to 2.5' clear.
Also, there is a 4x4 egress window about 2' out of well.
First floor has mostly hardwood so opening a panel in floor to slide drywall down might not be an option.
Could cut the center wall in the stair case to some exten but it would still be difficult to take drywall down.

So all that said. What do U guy suggest. Can windows be used some how to bring the boards in? Could egress window be taken out to have 4' wide clearence? or other sliding windews could be taken out to have 5' clear and reinstalled later. The hosue was build last year so everything is fairly new. Looking for some help here.

Thanks all.

Advertisement

chauds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall into basement

The window may have clips in the fixed panel that will enable you to remove it for just that purpose. If not you can remove the glass but this is a bit tricky. You can do a Google search on removing basement casement windows for more information on removing the panels. If all else fails you can score the back and fold the sheets of drywall in two. Be careful not to tear the face when moving and installing them.

Advertisement

ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Drywall into basement

Removing a window is your best bet if you can get the sash out of the frame.....
Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #4

Drywall into basement

Thanks all,
After fidelling with the egress window for some time I was able to pull it out. I had tried pulling out locks before but window still didnt go out. I had to finally pull out metal trim on all sides of the window to release it to outside. With window out I get almost 4'-1/4" clear horizontal space. With window being 2' about the well it should not be a problem sliding in a 4' wide sheet. Since now I have an easy way in. I might use 4x12 drywall.

Thanks all for suggestions.
Riz
chauds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Drywall into basement

Fewer joints is a good thing.....
Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #6

Drywall into basement

Go into a livingroom on the main floor, move the couch, roll back the carpet and cut a 3/4" or so slit 8' long. Have the people in the livingroom feed the drywall through the slit to the people in the basement.

When all the 4x8 sheets of drywall are in the basement, then roll back the carpet and you are done.
gprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Drywall into basement

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,304

Drywall into basement

Any possibility of disassembling the hand rails- or even the basement stair case itself?
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall into basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
What's funny? If it's the previous post, it's not too out there. I've seen a lot of stocking companies cut out sections of the first floor to stock basements that had switchback stairs and no walk out. Of course this was new construction, but if it's the only way...

Last edited by jerryh3; 11-13-2009 at 07:33 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Drywall contractor

Drywall into basement

Yep. Or cut a piece of sheathing out to stock a bonus room over the garage with narrow stairs and too small window.....

Advertisement