Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall on interior concrete basement wall

Haven't been able to get good advice on this question, but I'm hoping someone here has some insight... I'm finishing the basement of my townhouse-style condo. The walls are poured concrete. The three exterior walls are going to be finished with stud walls. I'm not sure what to do about the one wall that separates my unit from the next though. The stairway is against this wall, making it impossible to finish the wall with studs as that would take several inches off the width of the stairway.

I was thinking of installing the drywall directly to the concrete wall, but everything on the web says that's a guarantee of mold problems. But is water leakage really an issue on an interior wall? If I can't put the drywall directly on the concrete, what's the thinest strapping I can use?

Related to this is the waterproofing I"m putting on the other three walls. SHould I be doing that on the interior wall too? I guess I dont' understand where the moisture in concrete comes from - the dirt on the other side or does the concrete "sweat?"

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Marlene

marlenec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #2

Drywall on interior concrete basement wall

Concrete perpetually gives off moisture as it never really stops curing (releasing moisture).

As for a thin finish, try parging. it's a skim coat on the wall that looks like and is very similar to stucco. You don't need to waterproof the interior wall.

As far as the stud walls. Be careful not to create places for mold growth. Allow the wall system to breath so that any moisture can dry accordingly. What may be a dry basement today may not be tomorrow. Better to be prepared for the moisture than panicking after mold has set in.

AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, concrete, drywall, interior