Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Share |

drywall installed backwards

Previous homeowner installed drywall backwards and then glued on wood paneling. I removed the paneling and the glue. However, i dont have any drywall experience, so i had a contractor come look at it. He said that he would remove the paperthen skim coat the wall. He said i could remove the paper myself to save some money. However, i have no idea how to do this. Please help.

dw_kennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Is replacing not an option? How about even going over what's there with 1/4" drywall? It sounds like a ton of work, the paper is actually integral to the strength of the drywall also. I guess you could moisten it and try to remove or steam it if you must? I'm just afraid it will be a lot of effort for a bad result

mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Yep, from a test of Type-X board, pp.9; "With specimens cut from the long direction of the
panel, the stronger machine direction of the face paper plays an important role. Between 200C to
300C, the paper chars away and the strengthening influence gradually disappears (Figure 4). It was
not uncommon in the tests at lower temperatures for the gypsum core to crack but the paper to retain
its' integrity allowing the panel to sustain an increase in load. This behavior demonstrated the
important structural role of the face paper." From- http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2003/crame03a.pdf

Gary
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

how much drywall are we talking about?
Scrape and skim and forget about it.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Why remove the paper to skim it? Why skim it?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

The best idea so far is the one for covering with 1/4.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The best idea so far is the one for covering with 1/4.
I would try any thing before I used a 1/4" sheet of drywall. After you install the drywall all your switches and outlets will have to be extended, all your base board will have to be removed and reinstalled, all your window and door openings will need re-done. you will have to mud and sand all the joints you will need to do something where the new drywall meets the ceiling such as tape but can't get any on the ceiling or will have to paint that. Why not seal with Gardz and paint as normal.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

I still do not understand question or problem.
More then once I cut a piece of drywall and it went up upside down.
Not going to cry over it or suggest ripping it out.... just do it right next time.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #9

A piece of drywalls strength is in the paper. Remove that and there is nothing holding the gypsum together. If you take the paper off, skimming over top of it is a temporary fix, it will crack eventually. Are the joints already taped and coated? any pictures? any damage from the glue being ripped off? How much board is there?

I did a basement about a year and a half with the some thing, owner didnt want to pay for it to be torn down or anything put over top. I coated all the flats like butts, lvl 5'd all the walls. Paint went on nice and i called it a job well done.

Use a heavy primer, it sticks to pretty much anything and covers alot of imperfections.

P.s any contractor who would mention this idea is clearly a cowboy, and should be avoided. Seriously... paperless drywall, doesnt make any sense.
linjak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to linjak For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #10

[QUOTE=linjak;1064541]A piece of drywalls strength is in the paper. Remove that and there is nothing holding the gypsum together. If you take the paper off, skimming over top of it is a temporary fix, it will crack eventually. Are the joints already taped and coated? any pictures? any damage from the glue being ripped off? How much board is there?

I did a basement about a year and a half with the some thing, owner didnt want to pay for it to be torn down or anything put over top. I coated all the flats like butts, lvl 5'd all the walls. Paint went on nice and i called it a job well done.

Use a heavy primer, it sticks to pretty much anything and covers alot of imperfections.

P.s any contractor who would mention this idea is clearly a cowboy, and should be avoided. Seriously... paperless drywall, doesnt make any sense.[/QUOTE]
Don't look now but they are selling it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

I am not sure how big of a deal this is......BUT. there is a wallpaper mfg. which makes a covering that can cover this obvious error. It is also used over concrete block to allow painting. I am not sure what it is called but there are many experts who visit this site who will hopefully chime in. All I know is that it works, and "Waltex" comes to mind.
mae-ling (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Don't look now but they are selling it.
The paperless drywall you can buy has a fiberglass matte covering it. May be paperless but still has something holding it together.
linjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #13

That is true now you can buy that fiberglass mat it comes in 36" width is very easy to work with. It's called Fibra Fuse stick it on the wall skim coat it and done. In this case the drywall being backwards is really not a problem. The problem is where the paper torn, and unless it's a really big tear I would skim it and not worry about it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
DIY staff

Find a different fellow to shim coat that----There is no need to remove the paper---and no way to do it---

This won't end well if you attempt to remove the paper.
ToolSeeker (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjak View Post
A piece of drywalls strength is in the paper. Remove that and there is nothing holding the gypsum together.
Exactly. The proof of this is if you cut through the paper layer with a utility knife, the drywall will snap like a cracker.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backward, drywall, paper, removal