Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall Installation Cost

Hey,
There's this guy who framed up his basement but doesn't know how to drywall so I'm helping him but I don't know how to charge him. He didn't buy the materials yet so I don't know if I like should include the materials or let him pay for the materials?

TurboDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,314

If you have to ask then you have not done much drywalling. Let him pay for materials and charge him by the hour for labor.
People on this site are from all over the world, not many people are going to be able to tell you what the going rate is in your area. And if you have not done a lot of it you would just end up loosing money if you charged the gong rate because your going to be slower.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-19-2012), TurboDIYer (02-19-2012), user1007 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,220

joe makes a good point.....but how are you at finishing drywall...ok, good, better, best, thats what he will be paying for....charge according to your experience....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

I helped lots of my buddies install,fish and paint their drywall but I trade my labour for beer so i dont know the market price lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

I'm guessing here---but that homeowner will be money ahead if he could find an experienced pro

Just guessing
ben's plumbing (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have any sort of insurance if something goes wrong on this project? Stack of drywall sheets shifts and falls on a co-worker, the family lab/collie mix, etc.?

Friends helping each other out can work but many a friendship has been destroyed by such projects as you propose. You should make sure you both come to terms ahead of time just like in any other building trade relationship.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-20-2012), chrisBC (02-23-2012), oh'mike (02-20-2012), TurboDIYer (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDRYer View Post
I helped lots of my buddies install,fish and paint their drywall but I trade my labour for beer so i don't know the market price lol.
I have no idea of the cost in Canada? in my area of the US. the going rate runs between $.34-$.40 per square foot. that goes from about $18.00-$20.00 per 12 foot sheet. back when I was forced to retire due to injuries on the job, the Union said my time was worth $35.93 per hour. their thoughts not mine! that was back in 1992. here a homeowner can buy drywall for about $6.00 a sheet contractors buy quantities for much less. $3.50-$5.00 a sheet? pay hangers and finishers $5.50-$6.00 a sheet, giving them a profit of $6.00-$10.00 a sheet for overhead, insurance, workman's comp, and administration.

the going rate anywhere doesn't have lots to do with what you charge? it's what your time is worth to you? can you hang fast enough to make money? can you tape and finish well enough to make your wages per hour? will you have to make extra trips to finish to a satisfied painting quality? extra trips cost you money!

back in the 80's me and a friend co-worker of mine, would go to houses that took 112 12 foot sheets, start work at 7 AM. do the rock and 50 sticks of corner bead and be home bu 4 PM. on Monday. I'd tape and finish Tuesday - Friday. my wife and I would go on Saturday and sand and paint the house while the moving van sat outside. at that time we charged $6.50 per sheet, hung finished and painted + $3.00 per stick of corner bead. that was long ago, doing something we did 250-300 sheets per day 5-6 days a week.

you charge regarding your abilities and quality of doing the job. I'd let him buy all materials, and charge what you think is a decent hourly wage for you? without responsibilities! except to yourself and working to earn your decided wages.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

My cousin finished his basment by hiring some professional boarding crew and they charged him a dollar per square feet including the materials. Can you make a living off of that?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDRYer View Post
My cousin finished his basement by hiring some professional boarding crew and they charged him a dollar per square feet including the materials. Can you make a living off of that?
its not a question of "can make a living at that?" it's can they? that depends on their time and number of men? if it takes them 6 weeks to do 1,000 square feet and 3-4 men no they can't!

here you couldn't find anyone that would pay that amount 1 job at that amount a year is not making a living! I now make a very good living without getting out of bed each morning just from social security, workman's comp. and a very lucrative lawsuit! close to $500.00 a day my hanging and finishing, even working days ended over 19 years ago
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
TurboDIYer (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

Understood.