Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall Inside Corner Tool?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips on using the drywall inside corner tool? Besides that drywall school link, I know one does not become a pro using this tool overnight. Just wondering to get tips from the pros here that have used this tool before. Like, should one mud both sides than use the tool, or mud the tool like I did first? I know patience has to do alot with it as well, lol.

Thanks!

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Another DIY Zombie

I have the tool, but never use it. I use a small tape knife and do one side at a time.

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks, I tried it that way, but I am doing something wrong. I end up getting a little compound on the other wall..
Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #4

I do a light skim coat on each side to hold down the tape/mesh and wait till it dries. Then I put on some more to cover it and then use the corner tool. I use a broadkinfe to clean off the excess and then run the corner tool down one more time. That usually does it for me unless it is a problem corner because of poor framing.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #5

In a perfect world all framing + drywall would create a perfect 90 degree angel, that the 90 degree corner knife is designed to handle.
Most pros are still looking for those perfect 90 degree corners... search this forum... I think it was Atlantic that posted an impressive responce to this same question,,, he painted a beautiful written picture that one could almost feel how to hold the 4" or 6" knife between thumb and two fingers and end up with great results. Patience and practice...
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #6

You rarely see professionals using a 90 degree corner tool. They just don't work very well.

I'd suggest using your regular taping knife. Don't try to do both sides of an inside corner in the same application. Do one side, let it dry, and do the next side the next day. I often get impatient and do both sides in the same application, and if you develop a feel for it, it is doable. Mine usually takes a little touch-up though.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I bought and used one a few times,but stopped when I was called a green horn!. one side at a time is norm. you say you keep getting mud on the other wall! when you run your knife over the mud try to keep the side edge of the knife against that wall at a slight angle.this will clean up any excess mud on that wall as you pull the knife along the wall. Just make sure the knife has square corners not rounded do to long time ware. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #8

Thanks so much guys for the quick responds. I will definately search Alantic West post as well
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Drywall contractor

A little mud on the other side can always be scraped/sanded off. I've never seen a pro use a corner tool or heard of anyone who has used one successfully. I'm sure there are folks out there who can use them or they wouldn't still be selling them. One side at a time......
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #10

Timely post, I just bought one of these the other day. I know that very few 90* walls are actually 90*. But I have to find out for myself if I can make this work. The tool is flexable enough so less than 90 wouldn't be a problem.

I've got several closets stripped and new drywall waiting for me to get the corners done. Maybe I can get the thing to work, dunno
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #11

I think you'll find that it is pretty much a waste of time and a gimmick. If they did a better job or made the task easier, professionals would use them.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
I do a light skim coat on each side to hold down the tape/mesh and wait till it dries. Then I put on some more to cover it and then use the corner tool. I use a broadkinfe to clean off the excess and then run the corner tool down one more time. That usually does it for me unless it is a problem corner because of poor framing.
I have done the corner jobs similar to what Marvin has stated. You may have to try the tool a few times to see if you like your results. I got decent results with my corner tool whenever I can get one good complete run top to bottom after applying compound on both sides of the tape. It may take 1 or 2 attempts to figure out what your doing wrong or what angle the tool needs to be at for wall defects. I let the compound dry before attempting to finish the very top and bottom of the wall and tolerate some imperfection if moulding/trim will cover these areas.

Last edited by aggreX; 10-15-2008 at 02:15 PM.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

If you have to come back and touch up the tops and bottoms, why not just run one side at a time completely?? Definitely not for production work, but useful if it works for you...........
Old 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
If you have to come back and touch up the tops and bottoms, why not just run one side at a time completely?? Definitely not for production work, but useful if it works for you...........
Thanks for the tip! I do not drywall professionally but I have observed the professionals do their magic with seams etc..I just wished more of them protect themselves with masks and eye gear
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggreX View Post
Thanks for the tip! I do not drywall professionally but I have observed the professionals do their magic with seams etc..I just wished more of them protect themselves with masks and eye gear
Masks for sure. Sanding makes that really fine dust and breathing it is not good.