Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 109

Drywall Identification? Asbestos?

After removing some insulation I found drywall that has venting holes. This drywall was cemented to brick which was the interior wall of a sauna. The bottom of the drywall was completely deteriorated into a pile of dust, and I'm very concerned that it contains asbestos given it's location and function. I put on the hazmat suit, respirator, gloves, and goggles; wet down the dust and removed most of the bottom, but the top remains. I'm not sure whether to encapsulate it, or remove it. Can anyone identify this stuff? If so, any thoughts on whether it would have asbestos?

I'm planning on having it tested, but that will probably take some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Identification?  Asbestos?-img_7450.jpg   Drywall Identification?  Asbestos?-img_7453.jpg  

Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Looks like plaster board not drywall.
Not likly not asbestos, still scared get it test. Nobody can do it over the net.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Boy, there are times I wish I was an insurance salesman.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

ya nobody can say for sure just by looking at a picture. your going to have to get it tested if you want to know for sure.
if you've already tore half of it out you might as well finish tearing it out.
what you've done sounds good with the suit, wet down, etc.
did you set up an air tight containment with a cleaning area?
also you should have an air scrubber and a hepa vac and clean the whole place.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-28-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 622

Well it could be or it could be nothing. if it is you already done the damage asbestos is safe and harmless if it is not disturbed and you tore it up now you want to know if it is. The thing to do is before you go and tear in to something old take a sample have it tested then go do your home improvement. because we can not tell you over the internet.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-28-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 109

The pictures that I provided are what I found after removing the insulation. Being a holiday weekend, I didn't have a lot of alternatives. The only other option was to leave a pile dust sitting on the floor and trying to seal it up. Either way, it wasn't a good situation and definitely not how I wanted to spend my Saturday.

I have a piece wrapped in plastic and will get it tested this week. Results take a while. I was hoping someone might recognize those holes on the board ... I've never seen that before.
Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Good ole Gyprock. Should be no Asbestos whatsoever in it. I had to go through checking with a local company that tests for Asbestos and when I told them the neighborhood and age of the home, their exact words were "No Asbestos was ever used in that development that we know of, through tests and research of past information filed with the county."

As for you, you need to do the same, if you want to make sure that they never used any Asbestos in your place, due to the Gyprock in your place, dates it around the same age as our house, which was pre-WWII/Attack on Pearl Harbor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like plaster board not drywall.
Not likly not asbestos, still scared get it test. Nobody can do it over the net.
Actually it is called Gyprock.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
ya nobody can say for sure just by looking at a picture. your going to have to get it tested if you want to know for sure.
if you've already tore half of it out you might as well finish tearing it out.
what you've done sounds good with the suit, wet down, etc.
did you set up an air tight containment with a cleaning area?
also you should have an air scrubber and a hepa vac and clean the whole place.
Only reason to setup an air containment area, is to keep the dust down during demo of the area, or if they had a whole lot of mold, that came back testing as not good for breathing in by humans or pets.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 512

asbestos going into your lungs and gives you lung cancer. if for some reason there is asbestos an air scrubber will take those particles out of the air just like on a mold job it takes the mold spores out of the air. and they are great for taking the dust out of the air during demo and also great for sanding drywall.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
asbestos going into your lungs and gives you lung cancer. if for some reason there is asbestos an air scrubber will take those particles out of the air just like on a mold job it takes the mold spores out of the air. and they are great for taking the dust out of the air during demo and also great for sanding drywall.
You have to be doing it for a very long time, or already have a lung/breathing issue, where you can be more susceptible to issues with large amounts of dust.

The way we did our vent, was place a fan in the window to pull air out of kitchen, as we knocked the wall down between it and the dining room, and plastic to separate the dining from the hall and living room. Same thing when we did our bath.

No going to real extremes, because 1) No asbestos in this material, 2) No mold, 3) Just a whole lot of dust during demo, and even with masks, you still get some in through your nose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-28-2013), ToolSeeker (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 622

and to back up gregzol it takes 20 plus years to get cancer from asbestos.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,482

You want to know how harmful asb. is watch the T.V. commercials.Have you ever watched the lawyer ads, they say if you worked in a shipyard or auto parts mfg, and the other places where it was ground and sanded and the dust was continually in the and you were there 8 hrs a day 5 days a week for years.Never have you seen an ad that says if you put down 150sq ft of asbestos tile you might have a claim. And believe me if that were true the lawyers would be lining up.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
You want to know how harmful asb. is watch the T.V. commercials.Have you ever watched the lawyer ads, they say if you worked in a shipyard or auto parts mfg, and the other places where it was ground and sanded and the dust was continually in the and you were there 8 hrs a day 5 days a week for years.Never have you seen an ad that says if you put down 150sq ft of asbestos tile you might have a claim. And believe me if that were true the lawyers would be lining up.
Do you also realize those tv ad's are called "Ambulance chaser" ads. Again, it takes a very long time, to have a person see the results of Asbestos on an XRay or MRI.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

The stuff you are pulling down was known by different names. Most notably, "Rocklath" It was a gypsum based product, but then I have abated gypsum drywall that contained asbestos (160 apartments worth), so the only real way to know for sure is to test it. As far as needing 20 years to contract lung cancer from asbestos, that is unfounded and undocumented. The lawyer ads target mesothelioma, which is a specific type of cancer, slightly different than lung cancer, but 100% fatal and 100% linked to asbestos exposure. That makes it a cash cow for the ambulance chasers. Asbestos exposure is linked to mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis. Of people who have been exposed and now have a health problem, it is typically with asbestosis, a thickening of the lung walls caused by scar tissue as the body tries to encapsulate the lodged asbestos fibers. Asbestos fibers can't be disolved, so the body controls them by encapsulation. The long term effects are shortness of breath and in extreme cases, death. The latency period for asbestos related diseases is normally 7 years and up. How much exposure is too much? God will let you know, because nobody on this board knows.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asbestos, drywall