Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Hung In Wrong Direction On Ceiling

Started hanging 5/8" drywall on the ceiling of my garage. I'm using 4 x 8 sheets and rafters are on 24" centers. After getting 4 sheets up I found out I should have been installing the sheets perpendicular to the rafters instead of parallel to them. Would the experts advise I take these down and rotate them to the correct direction to prevent sagging or are there other options?

RandyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Since its only four sheets, best take um down and start over. Dry wall is stronger in that direction, less sag. The butt joints will be easier to tape out evenly.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 214

I would leave it since its 5/8 and only 8' long it wont sag, and its just a garage.Unless you didnt add more wood on the butt joints.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #4

Looks like I'll be pulling those 4 sheets back down. I had spaced my screws about 6" apart on the long edges of each sheet, so would there be any concern about all those holes weakening the sheet when I turn it and put it back up perpendicular to the rafters?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJames View Post
Looks like I'll be pulling those 4 sheets back down. I had spaced my screws about 6" apart on the long edges of each sheet, so would there be any concern about all those holes weakening the sheet when I turn it and put it back up perpendicular to the rafters?
Dont go in the same holes.Other than that you will be fine.At least you learned something mabye the hard way.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Most of your new holes are going to be in lines perpendicular to those old ones. The old holes may give the mud something to grab into. Could be your mistake improved on traditional tape joint.

At least you caught yourself B4 you went to far and you didn't it wrong side out. I know a guy did that in a 16 X 24 addition I built for him. He said he thought the beveled edges had something to do with fitting over studs.
From that job I learned, when owner is going to do part of job, to first make sure owner knows how.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Your advice is very much appreciated. And it was good to be reminded that it could always have been worse.