Drywall Help Needed, For Bathroom Repair - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywall help needed, for bathroom repair

ok here is the problem.. tub was in bad shape... tiles broken and missing.. so I decided to just replace everything.. so I took out all the tile.. and in the process of removing the tub...

now, I took the tile out down to the studs... I only want to tile the tub area.. and drywall the rest of the bathroom... I left the drywall / plaster or what ever that crap is on the walls.. what is the best way to build up to the existing drywall / plaster... do I use some type of furring strips, or just use 2or 3 sheets of drywall to match the thickness of the existing walls.. please help and thanks for your help in advance

Advertisement

ll2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 608

Big difference between drywall and plaster. Is it 4 X 8 sheets or plaster over lathe?
I use lattice to build the wall out if it was plaster.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

its almost like they used both...some type of board over morter .. when I took it out there was wire mesh and cement under the tile..anyway it was in some places more than an inch thick...
ll2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

It would be really helpful if you told us when the house was built, where the house is, and put up some pictures instead of just calling if "Crap" and giving us no dimensions of anything. Actually is sounds like your original tile was installed the right way in mortar with wire lath reinforcement, the old fashioned, right way, instead of in Thinset.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll2none View Post
ok here is the problem.. tub was in bad shape... tiles broken and missing.. so I decided to just replace everything.. so I took out all the tile.. and in the process of removing the tub...

now, I took the tile out down to the studs... I only want to tile the tub area.. and drywall the rest of the bathroom... I left the drywall / plaster or what ever that crap is on the walls.. what is the best way to build up to the existing drywall / plaster... do I use some type of furring strips, or just use 2or 3 sheets of drywall to match the thickness of the existing walls.. please help and thanks for your help in advance
First why not remove the "crap" on the walls, update plumbing and electric since you have gone this far. Then put up 1/2" cement board in the shower, and 1/2" moisture resistant drywall on the rest and everything is even. And don't use drywall in the shower, period.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
First why not remove the "crap" on the walls, update plumbing and electric since you have gone this far. Then put up 1/2" cement board in the shower, and 1/2" moisture resistant drywall on the rest and everything is even. And don't use drywall in the shower, period.
Good advice Toolman, the only issue is that we don't know when this house was built, and whether we are looking at milled lumber or rough cut studs which can be way off-plane, stud to stud. Your advice is good though, because the end game is the same, even if he has to sister new on-plane studs to the existing.

The studs on one of my bathroom walls in my first house built in 1920 were out by as much as 1.5 inches.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Good advice Toolman, the only issue is that we don't know when this house was built, and whether we are looking at milled lumber or rough cut studs which can be way off-plane, stud to stud. Your advice is good though, because the end game is the same, even if he has to sister new on-plane studs to the existing.

The studs on one of my bathroom walls in my first house built in 1920 were out by as much as 1.5 inches.
Jags... Not trying to upstage you.... but my 1978 build was out 1.5 at one place.... actually it was the framing... not the stud.... Kind of nice though,... I could shim it with standard flat stud.

Advertisement