Drywall Fun + Questions - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
English Only Please

Rewards Points: 93

Drywall fun + questions

Ok, this is my stairway walls going up to my upstairs bedrooms. How do I fix this crap?
I know this work wasn't done right but its what I've got when I bought the place.

My plan is (can be changed) to cut out the lousy sections and replace with fresh drywall. The damage (1st pic) above has corner beads I'd rather not replace. My plan is to dremel out the corner beads in the small section above the banister and screw them back after the drywall has been replaced.

On the walls of the stairway, I'm planning on cutting all the bad out and replacing with new. Everything will be premix Dap compound, tape then more compound. Sand, prime and paint.

Do I have this well planned?
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall fun + questions-20130602_153548.jpg   Drywall fun + questions-20130602_153614.jpg   Drywall fun + questions-20130602_153629.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by BirdSlapper; 06-03-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Phone posted early
BirdSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Drywall fun + questions

Is that whole stair way wall bowed out?

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall fun + questions

Is the problem that a wall plate sticks out too much there?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
English Only Please

Drywall fun + questions

Guys, part of the walls on each side are bowed out - not the entire wall.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

Drywall fun + questions

I'd be ripping all that rock off and find out what's going on under there.
There is no "patching" that's going to make that look right.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
English Only Please

Drywall fun + questions

Tear it all down?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

Drywall fun + questions

How ele are you going to find out what'a causing the wall to bow out.
That's not normal at all to have it do that.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Drywall fun + questions

I'd at least put a long, vertical straight edge on the walls, and find out where it is really doing the bowing out...... THEN I would remove a horizontal strip of drywall from 18" above the worst section, to 18" below that same point.

You've got to find out what the real problem is, not just mud out the wall till it looks flat.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Old School

Drywall fun + questions

Kind of looks like your joists on either side of that stairwell have begun to shove toward the stair opening.

Check your stairwell width in thirty or forty places all up and down... from wall to wall. I'll bet toward the ends of your stairs, you still have most of the original width, and the worst part is about the center of the space... right at the second floor level.

BTW, the joists would not actually be "shoving" toward the stair space.... but they would probably be pulling away from the walls at that point, making it LOOK that way. Sort of a dangerous thing because they are likely only sitting on 2" of wall right there in the best of conditions..

Last edited by Willie T; 06-03-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
English Only Please

Drywall fun + questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How ele are you going to find out what'a causing the wall to bow out.
That's not normal at all to have it do that.
I don't know, tearing it all down seems excessive
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

Drywall fun + questions

It's sure not going to get any better if left alone.
I know for a fact if I was looking to buy a house and saw that I'd be running away.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
English Only Please

Drywall fun + questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I'd at least put a long, vertical straight edge on the walls, and find out where it is really doing the bowing out...... THEN I would remove a horizontal strip of drywall from 18" above the worst section, to 18" below that same point.

You've got to find out what the real problem is, not just mud out the wall till it looks flat.
Ok, that seems doable.

Quote:
Kind of looks like your joists on either side of that stairwell have begun to shove toward the stair opening.

Check your stairwell width in thirty or forty places all up and down... from wall to wall. I'll bet toward the ends of your stairs, you still have most of the original width, and the worst part is about the center of the space... right at the second floor level.

BTW, the joists would not actually be "shoving" toward the stair space.... but they would probably be pulling away from the walls at that point, making it LOOK that way. Sort of a dangerous thing.
I was told the damage was due to settling. I also suspect the prior owner may have been at it with his 'repairs' :whistling2

I'll take 30 different measurements and write them down as you suggest. I'll report back.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Old School

Drywall fun + questions

You're taking these measurements so that YOU can formulate in your mind what the situation is. So that you can tell where, and how much, the wall is bowing. Be accurate in these measurements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
BirdSlapper (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Old School

Drywall fun + questions

Tomorrow I will try to get some time to make you a drawing showing what I think may have happened. BTW, it IS fixable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
BirdSlapper (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
English Only Please

Drywall fun + questions

Quote:
Tomorrow I will try to get some time to make you a drawing showing what I think may have happened. BTW, it IS fixable.
Ok, I'd appreciate that and your help so far. Any advice on what to use to assure the measurements are accurate?

Also, If we go by your theory of the joists shifting, in a nutshell what am I looking at?

Advertisement