Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Finishing help

I am finishing a bonus room that has the same roof as the one in the link below:
Drywall in attic with knee wall

Can anyone provide some advice on how to get a good corner on the angles that are not 90 degrees? I am really wanting to bang my head through the new drywall!!!!!!

Thank you,

Dayton

daywen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall Finishing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywen View Post
I am finishing a bonus room that has the same roof as the one in the link below:

Can anyone provide some advice on how to get a good corner on the angles that are not 90 degrees? I am really wanting to bang my head through the new drywall!!!!!!

Thank you,

Dayton

I'm having my basement finished right now. Finisher is using mud on bead and he has dome some impressive things with it such as straightening out some crooked soffets. He also used this same bead on inside and outside 45degree angles. Gives a VERY nice corner on both.

Check with your local drywall supply house for more info.

diykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Drywall Finishing help

I like to snap good lines when installing the sheetrock. Even before that, I use a long straightedge to make sure the framing is all in plane. You may need to shim or plane a few. I will use a screed to adjust the cuts on the sheetrock so the angles butt up tightly to each other. I then Durabond the first coat. If you bend the tape like you would for a corner and then sight it, you will get a nice joint, provided you planed everything out and snapped lines. Sometimes strapping is needed.

Carefully laying out the tape and using the fold for a reference will allow you to have a nice straight edge.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
I make love to my walls

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall Finishing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywen View Post

Thank you,

Dayton

If your talking about how to tape it to get a clean strait corner. You should use a product called strait flex medium. They sell it at home depot. It installs the same as paper tape however one of the main features of it it that it flexes as those particular types of angles like to crack over time. When you install it, dont over crease it, just stick it into the mud and immidiately put a thin layer over the edges after you embed it. you can check out www.straitflex.com to see what i mean
Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Drywall Finishing help

Yep, Straitflex or metal reinforced paper tape, such as Sure Corner, will help straighten out minor problems. Good hanging is a must also....