Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

drywall finishing

I have applied 3 coats of joint compound and even after light sanding, I still have a few spots that are not perfect. How can I finish this once and for all?

nance06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
the Musigician

drywall finishing

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can we have a few more details as to what exactly the problems are, and please post photos if you can. That will help us immensely!

DM

Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

drywall finishing

Exactly. What's not "perfect"??
Old 11-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

drywall finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nance06 View Post
I have applied 3 coats of joint compound and even after light sanding, I still have a few spots that are not perfect. How can I finish this once and for all?
Patience is your friend. The professionals, and really good DIYers don't often need more than 2 coats. Then there are the rest of us. I put a 4th coat (blue lid topping compound) on a few spots during my last drywalling project. Grumbled the whole time about how much I suck at mudding, but I eventually got the job done.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
1910NE (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

drywall finishing

AGREE with DrHicks (other than the "topping compound"). And don't try to just "pile" the mud on and sand it back down. Several "light coats" will do better than a couple of heavy coats. All you're trying to do is make the surface as flat as possible. Even if you can see a bit of the tape after sanding, it IS a "paintable" surface. As long as the joint is flat, you're good. Again, what exactly is the issue? A picture would help.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

drywall finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
AGREE with DrHicks (other than the "topping compound"). And don't try to just "pile" the mud on and sand it back down. Several "light coats" will do better than a couple of heavy coats. All you're trying to do is make the surface as flat as possible. Even if you can see a bit of the tape after sanding, it IS a "paintable" surface. As long as the joint is flat, you're good. Again, what exactly is the issue? A picture would help.
What are your thoughts about the "topping compound"?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

drywall finishing

I just don't like how easily it can be "scratched" or "nicked". It's a lightweight product and is prone to just those things. I haven't used any in years, (developed the dislike when it first came out) so it may be better now. (And I used it on a job or two that I sub-contracted and the mud was furnished.) It wasn't "conducive" to being thinned with water to make it easier "pull". It "cratered" quite badly. Why (buy) use a totally separate product for the final coat when what you have (regular ready-mix) is perfectly fine for ALL coats?? I've been in the drywall business for 35+ years and have never seen the need for a "special" compound for the final coat. I'm just not a fan of the product. There are many who are and that's fine....
Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

drywall finishing

Quote:
I just don't like how easily it can be "scratched" or "nicked". It's a lightweight product and is prone to just those things. I haven't used any in years, (developed the dislike when it first came out) so it may be better now. (And I used it on a job or two that I sub-contracted and the mud was furnished.) It wasn't "conducive" to being thinned with water to make it easier "pull". It "cratered" quite badly. Why (buy) use a totally separate product for the final coat when what you have (regular ready-mix) is perfectly fine for ALL coats?? I've been in the drywall business for 35+ years and have never seen the need for a "special" compound for the final coat. I'm just not a fan of the product. There are many who are and that's fine....
Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

drywall finishing

Sure. And I certainly don't "condemn" those who like the stuff. It's just a matter of personal experience and/or preference. And of course I have to take responsibility for the work I perform for my customers and stand behind it. I just never saw it as a good product for my "standards". Again, it may be much better than it was years ago when I used it, but I really don't see the need....
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

drywall finishing

Quote:
Sure. And I certainly don't "condemn" those who like the stuff. It's just a matter of personal experience and/or preference. And of course I have to take responsibility for the work I perform for my customers and stand behind it. I just never saw it as a good product for my "standards". Again, it may be much better than it was years ago when I used it, but I really don't see the need....
Personally, I like the "feel" of it. Glides on more like pudding. It just seems like I have an easier time feathering it out and getting a nice finish.

I don't know whether it's more easily nicked or gouged. After soaking in the primer and drying, it sure seemed to have a tough shell.

Anyway, thanks for your expertise!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

drywall finishing

And maybe it's time I tried a bucket to see if it's actually improved in the last (how many??) years since it first came on the market and I tried it...
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
A Little Of Everything

drywall finishing

Quote:
And maybe it's time I tried a bucket to see if it's actually improved in the last (how many??) years since it first came on the market and I tried it...
I've got about half a bucket I'll sell to you. For $50, I'll throw in free shipping!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

drywall finishing

Oh come on now, for $50, I'd expect a full bucket....
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #14

drywall finishing

I agree with using 1 type of compound. I just posted in another thread that using 1 type could be more beneficial to us DIYers. That way you keep emptying those buckets instead of having multiple types of compound and not using all of the bucket. In other words, you'll have a few partial buckets in the end if you use different types, instead of just 1.
nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #15

drywall finishing

I've been working on my 2nd drywall project in less then a year and the biggest tips I can give is to follow the premise of taking your time, proper taping, start with that smaller taping knife for the joint application, then start getting progressively wider with following applications.

One thing I did that helped a ton was to curve the application knife so that it gives a slight crown when going over joints, and when reversed on corners will leave a bit more in the joint area. Otherwise you may have a tendency to sand what you just applied because there isnt enough applied where you need it.

As others have said, it doesnt have to be perfect, it just has to be paintable. Proper use of sandpaper goes a long way too....

For the people who drywall for a living, lets face it, theyve been doing it so long that its almost an art how quickly they can apply a coat or two and be done. Ive seen some so good that sanding isnt often needed. But for the rest of us common DIY people, patience is a virtue. Remember that texture primer and paint will cover quite a few flaws. btw: if you hit paper, youre sanding too much...heh..

Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote