Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Dimples using Screws

I am hanging 5/8" drywall with screws and am having a hard time getting good dimples around the tapered edge. Every time I put a screw in the full thickness areas, I get the right dimple, but on the tapered edge I end up looking like the paper is warped in a ring around the screw. About the diameter of a nickel. Any suggestions on getting good dimples on the tapered edges? Is that normal in the taper?

mitaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you using a drywall screw gun or at least a dimple-making bit on your regular drill? Some people try to drive screws with just a phillips bit and that of course won't create a dimple.

Remember, on the tapered edges of the sheet, a dimple isn't all that necessary as long as the screw is driven flush. The taper will be filled with mud and tape, so the screw head will have feathered mud over it.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #3

I did buy a dimple bit, Vermont something or other. Cost $15 and chewed up the paper. I am using a regular philips #2 and having no issues with it in the non-tapered section. It's the stupid tapered area. If I were to use a dimple bit, like the dewalt ones that are $1.50, will I get the dimples in the taper?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

KC said it all. I have had that problem with thin gauge metal studs, is that what your srewing into? BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #5

no, this isn't going into sheet metal. I have 1x3's perpendicular to the floor joists
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

As posted you do not need dimples at the tapered edges. These recessed areas are only there to allow sufficient mud to be applied. At the tapered edges you have the whole edge predimpled.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

What are your 1x3's fastened to? Using 1 x's, I would suspect you have this going on a block wall? If so, is it possible your screws are too long for the thinner tapered edges, and are bottoming out on the block behind the 1 x 3's?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
What are your 1x3's fastened to? Using 1 x's, I would suspect you have this going on a block wall? If so, is it possible your screws are too long for the thinner tapered edges, and are bottoming out on the block behind the 1 x 3's?
Thats a point WILLIE. but I beleive he has them fastened to the floor joists of the first floor.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote