Drywall Dangers? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Expert

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall dangers?

Got some 1950's 4 1/4" yellow plastic (!) tiles for my kitchen back splash, adhered with what looks like a brown mastic. I can pop these off easily in whole pieces with a putty knife. I want to do a new back splash. If I sand down the mastic to the paper am I facing a potential asbestos situation or other hazard?

Advertisement

Clankpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall dangers?

when you find anything that actually supports the claim of asbestos that is not from a PI insurance firm, please post it. On top of everything else, the claim is it was used in the gypsum mix so you would not run a risk of contamination if you do not breach the paper, even if there is asbestos in the drywall.

there is a report of asbestos in drywall mud though. I haven't found much about that yet.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Drywall dangers?

Asbestos was used in the joint compound, texture sprays, etc. until the late 70's. There is a possibility the mastic could have asbestos in it, you'd have to have a sample tested to find out for sure....
Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall dangers?

not sure about you guys but if there is even a slight risk of it being present i wear a respirator when i'm working around it

http://www.pksafety.com/asledu.html

is a cheap way to protect yourself. replacement filters are only $6 a pair and this mask accepts real cartridges so you can use activated charcoal and a whole range of gas / particle filters for painting or whatever else your heart desires
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 161

Drywall dangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
not sure about you guys but if there is even a slight risk of it being present i wear a respirator when i'm working around it

http://www.pksafety.com/asledu.html

is a cheap way to protect yourself. replacement filters are only $6 a pair and this mask accepts real cartridges so you can use activated charcoal and a whole range of gas / particle filters for painting or whatever else your heart desires

Great suggestion and thanks for posting the link. This is cheap insurance.

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote