DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Drywall Cutting Attachment (

rparkington 10-01-2012 02:04 PM

Drywall Cutting Attachment
1 Attachment(s)
Hi, my dad bought this tool that he uses for cutting around receptacle boxes when hanging drywall. We need a new one but we can't find one anywhere and are not sure what it's called either. You mark your box, find the inside and then pull it out before reinserting on the outside. You then go counter clockwise around the box until your hole has been cut. Any ideas what it's called?

It attaches to a standard drill.

A picture of the tool is attached.

joecaption 10-01-2012 02:10 PM

Never seen one before.
I use a Roto Zip saw with a pilot bit or my ossilating saws.
I can see the spirals flutes on the sides of that thing taring up the sides of the box.

rparkington 10-01-2012 02:16 PM

The flutes are on the inside of the room and not close to the drywall or box. The white plastic thing has a bearing in it and sits snug against the drywall. It works great but he wore out the original bit and can't find one that will stay in. You tighten it and 10 seconds later it will fall out. Looking to replace the whole unit now.

joecaption 10-01-2012 02:32 PM

Just that a bit that fits in the hole and tighten up the set screw enough to leave a mark on the bit, remove the bit and file or grind a flat spot on the shank of the drill bit at the mark and but the bit back in.
Looks like a cheap soft shanked mason bit.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1