Drywall Cracking - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Cracking

Hi, We've refinished the basement of a 50 year old house with new drywall on the walls and ceiling. The walls were panelled and there was a drop ceiling when we started. We tore off all the panelling, drop ceiling and all the strapping and made sure there were no nails on the existing studs and floor joist on the ceiling.

We had a contractor/handyman do the drywall and mudding (they both have done drywall before professionally). We used standard 1\2" drywall and good quality mud etc. We are now getting some cracking at some of the joints (we used flex/mesh tape for the joints) that keeps recurring.

Could the joists be moving and creating the cracks? There is some creaking on the floors which I assumed were loose nails on the existing subfloor (we tore up the old hardwood and are replacing it with another layer of sub-floor which will be screwed down).

Just wondering if you think it is the Joists - in which case, would lifting the old subfloor, putting in 2x6 braces to brace the joists and then screwing down the sub-floor fix the problem? Or, do you feel there is something wrong with the installation?

Any help is appreciated, just want to make sure we fix this before putting down sub-floor and carpet.

Thanksm
Wayne

Advertisement

Jaforocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Drywall Cracking

Most likely caused by the construction going on upstairs. The new floor will stiffen the situation. Don't bother fixing it until the floor's done.

Advertisement

Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwoodsmith For This Useful Post:
Jaforocks (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,098

Drywall Cracking

Paper tape on the joints hide any movement better than mesh, it is also stronger. Mesh has to be applied with setting type compound for the initial, first coat, as per manufacturer and wallboard maker. The following coats can be other. I agree, wait until the hardwood's down.

Gary
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Phoenix

Rewards Points: 75

Drywall Cracking

I agree too. I have cracks in my garage because i used mesh WITHOUT using hot mud (i used regular joint compound) on my new walls. At the time i didn't know any better.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Drywall Cracking

Yep, when using mesh, at least the first coat should be setting type compound...
Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall Cracking

by the way next time use 5/8 for ceilings...
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Drywall Cracking

1/2" is acceptable if the joists are 16"o.c.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,098

Drywall Cracking

Install the 1/2" perpendicular to the framing members, not parallel IF using a water based texture, Table #1; http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

Gary

Advertisement