Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall to concrete...what glue?

Coming down my basement steps, the drywall stops where the concrete wall begins. The framing underneath is flush with the concrete wall. I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and I'd rather not build the wall out, creating a ledge half way down the steps. If I glue the drywall to the concrete it will make the wall flush the whole way down the steps. So what do I use?

Or is it a better idea to frame that wall, insulate it (like the rest of the basement), and just deal with an ugly ledge?

nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

PL premium or Liquid nails---large 'dabs' about 10" apart---wedge in place with temporary wood braces.

or nail with 1" masonry nails.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Agreed. It's not recommended to stick drywall directly to concrete (mainly in case of moisture issues), but it's done. I've seen the "dust ledge" done before and it's not pretty. On the other hand, you have something to nail your skirt board and screw a hand rail to.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #4

I would texture the concrete after skim coating it with setting type compound. Paper-backed drywall is risky, at least use backer board or other without mold issues. The seasonal moisture will travel through whatever you install, no vapor barriers like Denshield or poly.

Gary