Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #1

Share |

drywall for the ceiling

Pardon if my explainations aren't techical....

In my hallway area with walls on both sides, I had to cut out about a 4x6 area on the ceiling from wall to wall. My question is...when i put this piece of drywall back up, is it necessary and crucial to put it up ontop of both edges on the wall sheetrock?

What I mean is there's a gap between the top of the wall sheet rock and the wood beam for the ceiling. This gap was part of the ceiling sheetrock when I cut the ceiling section out.

If it is necessary to put it back into this gap, what's the easiest way to do this since both walls in the hallway have the gap. My concern is if I were to cut one big piece of 4x6 and try to wiggle the piece in, it might be very very tight...if anything it might not be possible because there's one stud behind the wall in the gap so if i were to wiggle one side in, I won't have any play.

I hope this makes sense!

genner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

drywall for the ceiling

Genner,

Just my idea mind you but here I go. I'd start with a new piece of drywall cut to size. Cut in half lengthwise down the hallway and slip each half in above the sidewalls. You would have to add 2 X 4's in between the ceiling joist where the two new pieces of drywall meet so you could screw it down securely. Then your on with you next part of the project, taping, mud, sand, etc.

best of luck with the project, rredogg

rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #3

drywall for the ceiling

No, just just screw it up securely, add blocking or cleats to screw into if you can't catch all the framing that you need to. If you were doing the walls as well as the ceiling then do the ceiling first for extra support on the edges, but it is not critical for what your doing.
newgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #4

drywall for the ceiling

you'll be Ok without putting rock back into those crevices. Not common but some guys do the walls first so in other words, theres nothing structural about what supports what.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

drywall for the ceiling

Simple answer: No.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #6

drywall for the ceiling

Great thanks everyone for your help! Glad to hear it's not code or anything to put the ceiling sheetrock up first then the walls for support. I'll try your method rredogg! Thanks everyone!
genner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

drywall for the ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by genner View Post
....Glad to hear it's not code or anything to put the ceiling sheetrock up first then the walls for support....
That's actually how it's normally done.

In fact the old sheetrock hanger's terminology is to do the "lids" first, and then the walls.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

drywall for the ceiling

You'll be hard pressed to get a piece of rock in both sides of the gap. The wall pieces are pushed as tight as possible to the ceiling, not allowing much "wiggle" room. Just cut it as tight as possible. You can likely get one side in (with the tapered edge). Tape will take care of the rest.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #9

drywall for the ceiling

you can try these metal furring studs for leveling. Like someone mentioned, run a level string from one side to the other and install the studs at a right angle to the existing joists level with shims or blocks. Really easy and fast and if your running new wiring, you wont have drill any holes.

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
drywall for the ceiling-drywall-furring-channel.jpg  

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote