Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall - butt edge to tapered edge

Hey guys,

While doing a basement job there were a few walls that were 12' long and I ended up using 2 sheets horizontal and then one vertical sheet. Of course I didn't think about the seam issue until now.

OK I know you're all asking why I didn't use 12' sheets...well a couple reasons, first off I didn't have access to a vehicle or trailer that could take a 12' sheet, and secondly, both basement stairways take a bit of a hard turn at the bottom where I don't think a 12' sheet would go.

Yes, I could have cut the full sheet in 2 and done 8-4 over 4-8 but I was trying to minimize cutting as well...yeah, I know...not the right way but I guess you learn from your experiences and next time I would definitely do it different.

Anyways, I'm faced with a couple vertical joints where the factory tapered edge is against a butt edge. What is the best way to tape this?

Should I fill in the taper with mud first, knife it flush and let it dry, then tape it like a butt edge?

Thanks

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Drywall is normally run perpendicular to the studs(lengthwise), so there are lots of butt-butt joints. Done right, you will never see them. Butt to taper is no different, may just take an extra pass with compound.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

Agree with Bill. The finisher that came in after me had more than a handful of challenges like this, and he made it look perfect.
Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

Throw enough compound on there and sand sand sand... it'll be fine
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #5

Fill the space with some 5 minute mud first. Using regular joint compund is ok but will take all day to dry. BTW, don't feel bad about using 8' sheets, the older I get the more 8 footers I use.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

Mop in hand... you are right... my method takes a long time.. something my fiance is none to pleased about, but allows me a little more time in front of the TV

LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote