Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Matt989
Share |

drywall in basement

Hi all,

Ok I'm gonna be as clear as I can be. I am a first time homeowner and wanted to make my basement my game/nascar room.
I have poured concrete walls and want to finish it with drywall. I am gonna use 2x2's to build the frame, but heres how it goes.
I was gonna attach the top boards to the boards up top but cannot due to water pipes, main water supply so on and so forth. so i have to drop it down about 2.5-3 inches from that so what im gonna ask is this.

How should i attach those 2x2's to the concrete wall? ive heard screwing or nailing them in the wall is a very bad thing, but will construction adhesive work? I am very new at this so i hope i explained it good enough.

thanks everyone

Matt

Matt989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

drywall in basement

First off, a 2x2 is actually 1.5" x 1.5", and I wouldn't recommend that you use such for framing even partition walls (too flimsy). Even if you were referring to literall 2"x2", I'd recommend against it. Use minimum 2x3.

Secondly, I would not recommend installing directly to the concrete wall. Build your walls approximately 2" away from your foundation walls to allow for air-flow/air-circulation. Concrete is pourous and contains moisture. You do not want to install anything against it that can breed mold or trap moisture (wood, sheetrock, insulation, etc).

There are ways to install walls, even with pipes overhead. Example: Build a soffit around the pipes, and attach your wall to that...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-30-2008 at 06:13 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #3

drywall in basement

Here you kinda see the water pipes up top.
Attached Thumbnails
drywall in basement-house-024.jpg  
Old 08-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #4

drywall in basement

If i would build away from the wall i could screw up top to the wood but what about the floor?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #5

drywall in basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt989 View Post
If i would build away from the wall i could screw up top to the wood but what about the floor?
We generally use a powder actuated fastener for installing Pressure Treated 2x's for the sole plate (floor). You can also use tapcons.

By powder actuated fasteners, I mean, a tool that uses .22 cal caps to fire pins thru the wood and into the concrete floor.
By Tapcons, I mean: Drilling thru the wood. Then using a masonry bit to drill into the conrete, then using either an expandable masonry anchor, or the tapcon blue masonry screws = to hold the bottom wall plate down...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #6

drywall in basement

With both these methods of installing into concrete, the items, fasteners and tools, may bo found at any Big Home Improvement Type Stores.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #7

drywall in basement

thanks for your help,im gonna try this sometime this week. i appreciate your answers
Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #8

drywall in basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt989 View Post
thanks for your help,im gonna try this sometime this week. i appreciate your answers
Matt,

Here's a search I did on past discussions (here at the DIY Chatroom), involving the topic "Finishing Basement": http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php?searchid=442125

Good Luck and welcome to the site.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #9

drywall in basement

Matt, if you're in Michigan and you have exposed concrete walls like yours where I see possible moisture inflitration already occurring, I'll suggest you look at two things:

(a) foam insulation (the one-inch on the floor and the two-inch on the wall pink, rigid boards) taped and glued to the walls and screwed to the floor under 5/8" plywood with tapcons
(b) paperless wallboard. These are mould and mildew resistant because there is no paper on them that moulds love.

Once the foam is there, then you can play around with 2x4 or better 2x6 walls attached to the ceiling and floor and insulated. Vapour barrier can be discussed later...

You should not attach wood directly to concrete, ever. Plan now for potential problems down the road. Insulate against winter and save the money that these two steps above might cost above what you are doing now.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ccarlisle; 08-30-2008 at 08:46 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #10

drywall in basement

ok nice to know im gonna go buy some of that isulation today
Old 08-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #11

drywall in basement

I too recommend the same: Foam insulation. On normal basement installations we install it on the lower 12" of the wall bays. If a basement is wet or too damp, then we won't even start to remodel it, until the moisture issues are corrected first.

Consider installing a 3" strip of cement board along the bottom of the walls, as well, with the paperless wallboard above that.
The strip will be covered by Baseboard.