Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

drywall around tub enclosure

Is this what folks are recommending for drywalling around the top flange of a one-piece fiberglass shower? Do you scratch up the shower flange so the Easysand sticks to it? Yes, there will be a bead of caulking at the bottom of the Easysand, and I guess you should put something along the lip (temporary) to keep the Easysand up off the flange 1/8". ??? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
drywall around tub enclosure-shower.jpg  

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

You really need to use DensShield or DurRock around that tub, if you are planning on tiling. If not and just planning on putting up Green or Purple Board, you are looking at a real mess in a very short time.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,000

I've only built about 50 bathrooms but I've never done it that way.
I just set the drywall about 1/4" away from the top of the enclosure and use Alex 230 caulking.
Last thing I want to do is to be trying to finish drywall mud that sure to get all over the top of the enclosure. The sanding that close would scratch it.
The enclosure also will expand and contract slightly, where as the dry wall mud will not.
Any moisture resistant drywall will work fine.
When I cut the drywall I make sure the taper is at the top and the cut is toward the enclosure.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

thanks for the replies. when i searched, i saw another thread where this procedure was recommended by a few guys (if i understood correctly). i, too, was concerned about the easysand cracking and not being able to sand it without tear up the shower stall. when i built in '80, i used a/c plywood above and on the sides of the shower enclosure, as i did not trust sheet rock; it's doing fine. i'll talk to the guy i'm helping and see which way he wants to go; ply or moisture-resistant sheet rock.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,000

No way would I be using any plywood around a shower area!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No way would I be using any plywood around a shower area!
are you worried about warping, or what? mine's been there since '80, and no problems, but i can see warping as a potential problem. thanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

*deleted by poster*

Last edited by Seattle2k; 10-23-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: oops
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You really need to use DensShield or DurRock around that tub, if you are planning on tiling. If not and just planning on putting up Green or Purple Board, you are looking at a real mess in a very short time.
Sorry for the confusion. In the title I have "tub", but it is a shower. Duh.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

If it is a shower unit with manufactured walls, then just place Green or Purple board above the lip, prep, prime, then paint. If planning on tiling, use DensShield or DurRock. I prefer DensShield because it cuts like Drywall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If it is a shower unit with manufactured walls, then just place Green or Purple board above the lip, prep, prime, then paint. If planning on tiling, use DensShield or DurRock. I prefer DensShield because it cuts like Drywall.
roger that. thanks.